F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Will mods cause Fi light to stay on?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 11:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will mods cause Fi light to stay on?

I just bought a 2006 F4i yesterday & it looks & runs good...... The only thing is the Fi light stays on all the time but causes no performance issues...... The guy told me that it was due to the mods the bike has...... It has a shorty pipe & he said that the sensor was unhooked & would cause that..... It also has the flush mount LED blinkers on the front & back..... He put a cigarette lighter plug on it also.....

Now I will say that a few times I would go to put it in first gear & it would die but that seemed to be when it wasn't warmed up enough..... It was also when he had the idle set to 1k..... I idled it up to about 1.2 to 1.5k & it seemed to do better..... When you first hit the ignition button it fires right up on the first try when it is completely cold..... I fired it up & it idles to 2k & gradually drops to the real idle rpms..... You can smell some exhaust but it has such a short pipe, I guess that is normal.....

When I first turn it on the Fi light blinks 2 time slow & 3 times fast but once the bike is warm the light stays on...... It seems that it only dies when engaging first gear while it is still cold & the Fi light is blinking but when it warms up & the light is on all the time it does better..... I may have fixed that by idling it up..... Can anyone suggest a good idle?????

Other than that, the bike runs great...... It has good power & torque through all gears..... I rode it 120 miles home yesterday & it didn't so much as sputter once......

Can somebody please help me...... This doesn't sound like a serious issue does it???? Any help will be appreciated........

Thanks,
Joe

Last edited by CHEMISTRANGER; 05-10-2009 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:04 PM

I made a dumb mistake..... This is my first CBR & was unfamiliar with the kickstand safety mechanism..... If you leave the kickstand down & engage first gear, it will die..... I think I had the kickstand up once or twice & it still died, but I read online that if you don't firmly put the kickstand up, it will not disengage the safety switch on the kickstand.....

I was able to idle it back down to about 1.1 to 1.2k & as long as the kickstand is up correctly it goes into first gear & keeps running fine.....

As far as the Fi light being on, it doesn't seem to be representing a serious problem......

Last edited by CHEMISTRANGER; 05-10-2009 at 11:06 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:41 AM

i would find the manual if i were you and check what that blink code means, because even if it doesn't affect performance it could do bad things down the rode

Old 05-11-2009, 10:13 AM

Thanks, I will check into it. I got a good deal on the bike, so if I have to put some money in it, it will be worth it. I looked at what he was talking about with the shorty pipe. You can see where the sensor wires are not hooked up around the pipe. That mod along with the others that were done to it could be the problem.

I would like to know what the code means. Although it's just like a cars check engine light; they will come on from any little thing. I have seen many cars run with the check engine light on the entire time the person owned the vehicle & they never have any problems.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:53 AM

I looked around & found out what the Fi code means..... What it comes down to is the guy that sold me the bike was correct..... When you change the factory exhaust to a shorty & don't hook up the O2 Sensor this is what you get..... There is an O2 Sensor Eliminator from Power Commander that should turn of the light...... Anyway, this is what I found below......

Quote:
" I bought an 04 cbr600f4i, and the FI light is flashing two long blinks and 3 short blinks, which should be the oxygen sensor heating element, but my bike doesn't seem to have an oxygen sensor. How can I fix this problem or override it?

If the exhaust has been changed with a non o2 sensor compatible exhaust system or the o2 sensor is faulty, or been removed for any reason, there is a o2 sonsor eliminator kit that you can buy from power commander website for $15. This plugs into the o2 sensor connector and is caped off at the end. This tricks the ecm into thinking the sensor is pressent.
Go to this web site. Select part# 76423005 O2 sensor eliminator kit.
http://www.powercommander.com/powerc...cessories.aspx "
End Quote

Maybe this can help others out in the future that may run into the same problem...... To re-cap, if you get 2 long blinks & 3 short blinks of the Fi light, then your O2 sensor is either faulty or unhooked from your exhaust...... It is perfectly normal if you have a non-factory exhaust system that doesn't use the sensor.....

Last edited by CHEMISTRANGER; 05-11-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:00 PM

good to know that you got it fixed and that there was nothing wrong