F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Why would this happen?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 11:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why would this happen?

I noticed on the highway unless I'm doing 80mph I get passed by everyone. This obviously leads me to believe that my speedo is wrong but everything on the bike is stock except for a Jardine slip on. I haven't checked with a GPS or the buddy method to see how bad the speedo is off but at 60mph I still seem to catch up to people in a 55 but on the highway 75 to 80 is the only way I can keep up with the flow of traffic.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:23 PM

check if gearing is stock or not.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:28 PM

Do you have a smartphone or another gps? I'd just use that to figure out how fast you're really going, then you know if its speedo issues or if people are just driving that fast.

Old 12-31-2011, 04:17 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Almost certain you have a gearing change on your bike (-1 +2 or so) and no speedohealer.
Definitely GPS or something to verify it or count your sprocket teeth and find out what it was changed to.

Old 12-31-2011, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

stock tire sizes also? the speedo margin of error is known to sometimes be fairly significant on these bikes to begin with, any other modifications could easily compound that error.

Old 12-31-2011, 05:19 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After I did the F3>F4i swap, I just had my wife hop on the highway, lock the cruise-control on 60mph and then paced her to verify that I still hit the mark.

Ern

Old 01-01-2012, 08:08 AM

All gearing is stock, shoulda mentioned I changed the chain and sprockets this summer, the ones that came off were from the factory. I got one of the kits from RK but I kept the same sprocket sizes and chain width so that's all good. The tires are also the stock size. Unfortunately it's winter here in NY now so I'll have to wait until spring to see how much it's really off by. I just figured I'd ask and see if it could be anything I could fix over the winter while I've got my bike all tore down for a good cleaning, CCTL, and new fairings. Happy New Year.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevwa451
All gearing is stock, shoulda mentioned I changed the chain and sprockets this summer, the ones that came off were from the factory. I got one of the kits from RK but I kept the same sprocket sizes and chain width so that's all good. The tires are also the stock size. Unfortunately it's winter here in NY now so I'll have to wait until spring to see how much it's really off by. I just figured I'd ask and see if it could be anything I could fix over the winter while I've got my bike all tore down for a good cleaning, CCTL, and new fairings. Happy New Year.
Did you count the teeth before you installed the sprocket?
Maybe it was a mix-up when you ordered them? If not I have no idea.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kevwa451
I noticed on the highway unless I'm doing 80mph I get passed by everyone. This obviously leads me to believe that my speedo is wrong but everything on the bike is stock except for a Jardine slip on. I haven't checked with a GPS or the buddy method to see how bad the speedo is off but at 60mph I still seem to catch up to people in a 55 but on the highway 75 to 80 is the only way I can keep up with the flow of traffic.
Uh, probably because 75-85 pretty much IS the flow of traffic.

Aside from the stock speedo being a bit off as they often are, the only other possibility would be tire size.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:03 PM

Hhmm, well honestly the flow of traffic around here hovers around 70. You'll get the occasional 75-80 but you're guaranteed to get pulled over around where I live for going over 75. I thought maybe everyone was just flying but if I'm doing 71 on the highway in my car I pretty much pass everyone, but on the bike everyone passes me at 70 so idk. I'll figure it out this spring.

Quick Reply: Why would this happen?