F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Why does this happen

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 06:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why does this happen

Okay as Ive said before in earlier posts this is my first Honda. I like to put everything I own to the limit and figure it out as soon as I can. Well tonight was the first night it really rained hard since I purchased the bike. Everytime I hit the back brake hard on a slick road it feels like the transmission is braking me. I actually hear it grinding away. Is this a typical HONDA problem? Im taking my bike in, in about 3 weeks for a total fluid change out. If this is an abnormal problem I would like to address it then. 2002 F4i

Old 12-24-2008, 07:44 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Why does this happen

Sounds like a slack chain. Try the hard braking with the clutch in and it should not pop even if the chain is a bit loose.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:56 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, cant help with your problem but you hit your rear brake "hard" in the rain? Yikes mang, I dont even use rear softly in the rain ... rear, hard, in rain can get ugly.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:22 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

I agree with ya KB ... but it sounds as if he might have been practicing to see how it reacts. Not a bad idea to get familiar. I know leaving out of work the other morning at 28F I lit the back tire up without trying ... so all those times I did it on purpose were educational. Ya, that's it officer ... I'm practicing

Old 12-24-2008, 09:03 PM
Retired Moderator

If you*re practicing, then you need to practice in a more controlled environment like a parking lot rather than with real traffic around you.

Actually, I*m not a saint and do some stupid sheit Chain, but I don't know the OP or his experience with bikes so I just don*t want to steer him wrong in getting into bad habits like us [8D] in case he is a newbie to biking.

Don*t ban me boss!

Old 12-25-2008, 11:26 AM

To answer OP, hard braking is probably causing wheel hop. Usually in the rain you'd use engine braking, but if you're trying to brake even harder and dont like the jerks, pull in the clutch!
About brakes, IMHO both brakes should be used in the rain... in fact that's one of the only places where rear brake use is important. When going straight washing out the front end means instant fall whereas you can deal with the rear breaking loose.
In the dry the front tire can grab very hard, so one would avoid using the rear to prevent highsides and such. not as much in the wet... there you need all the stopping power you can get. correct me if I'm wrong, but in the rain I would use the front brake with care, while trying to get as much braking from the rear as possible. Of course if you're leaned over, washing out the front is preferable But you shouldn't lean over in the rain in the first place!

Old 12-25-2008, 11:45 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

I believe you are correct with the exception of being leaned over. In a hard lean if you lose grip on either tire, especially from braking, you are gonna end up in the ditch with the bike coming at you. Better in that situation to turn in more and/or shift all body weight to the inside although in the heat of the moment is not a great time to go shifting weight around. And ya, leaning over in the rain is not a stellar idea but sometimes ya end up in a pickle and that's the only way out Turn that bad boy in and hope for the best.

Old 12-25-2008, 12:52 PM
Retired Moderator

Good point, you are correct ampfp; using both brakes is beneficial when you*ve got traction in a STRAIGHT line (not leaned over) but I refer back to my original point that until I know level of experience of OP I would not recommend hard rear braking as it is a learned skill over time and definitely not something a newbie should be doing. Also, should go without saying; better to do all your SMOOTH braking before a turn, not in one.

From another thread:
If you start riding around and start stabbing at the rear brake incessantly and with disregard to pressure sensitivity and the likes... well..you're gonna fall down. PRACTICE! practice in a straight line though. it's best to get ALL your braking done before you start to turn-in when riding in the wet anyhow. pretty much in the dry too, unless you've got somewhat advanced skillaz (like me!). brakes are important. it's best to go into a turn too slow than it is to go in too fast. wet or dry.

Old 12-25-2008, 01:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Dieseldmook

Is this a typical HONDA problem?
The only typical Honda problem is young riders not knowing enough about bikes in general.

I'm not pointing fingers, I'm just sayin.

Old 12-25-2008, 02:08 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: TheX
The only typical Honda problem is young riders not knowing enough about bikes in general.
I'm not pointing fingers, I'm just sayin.
Never delt with the cam chain tensioner or a fuel pressure regulator huh? These are the only known problems with the F4i, but anything can break onany machine made.

Quick Reply: Why does this happen