F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

who else wants that perfect suspension?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 09:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who else wants that perfect suspension?!

How do you find that perfect balance between setting your suspension for track/city usage??

I am not so sure what the local mechanics can really do in helping me do this. I am sure they can try and adjust it a little but I need to find a way to do this as precise as possible! Wish I could get a tune up by someone that specifically works on track bikes?Any suggestions?Literature?
________
Web shows

Last edited by F4iMane; 09-09-2011 at 05:57 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: who else wants that perfect suspension?!

ORIGINAL: F4iMane

How do you find that perfect balance between setting your suspension for track/city usage??

I am not so sure what the local mechanics can really do in helping me do this. I am sure they can try and adjust it a little but I need to find a way to do this as precise as possible! Wish I could get a tune up by someone that specifically works on track bikes?Any suggestions?Literature?
2 diff settings. Just set it for you weight. If you are wanting a soft cushy ride for the street you bought the wrong type of bike. A sport bike acts all weird with too soft a suspension too.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:48 PM

+1 2 different settings lol. cant have hard and informative coupled with soft and mellow. mess around with your settings when you get a track day, youll learn more from changing it and riding than having someone set it up for you, BUT you can learn a lot from asking an expert as well.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:11 AM

I found this to be a very informative read http://www.moto-racing.co.uk/Guides/...nsionSetup.htm. Still haven't set my suspension but I'm thinking of using this write-up to do mine.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:49 AM

ORIGINAL: kukku

I found this to be a very informative read http://www.moto-racing.co.uk/Guides/...nsionSetup.htm. Still haven't set my suspension but I'm thinking of using this write-up to do mine.

Your the fcukn man! Nice find bro!
________
Lexymae

Old 12-11-2008, 09:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Set the sag first, absolutely important, and get the suspension set up properly, may involve some spring changes. You'll be glad you had a pro do it.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:51 PM

Not planning on changing my suspension everytime I go to the track then adjusting right back after. Its not that easy so. I want to find a happy medium.
________
Alessandra live

Old 12-12-2008, 09:00 AM

I've run pretty aggressive spring rates on the street before without too many problems... but not with an OEM rear shock.

If you have the financing, look into a Penske 8981 2-way adjustible, or similar 2-way adjustible racing shock. The valving will behave much better at higher spring rates compared to OEM pieces.

While the Honda F4i shock is nicer than some OEM pieces I've used in the past, it still won't compare to the quality of a nice racing shock.

When you purchase a shock like this, the shop that's selling it should be asking you your weight with all your gear on, and your riding style. Usually they will say "Street, Track Day, or Racing?" Say Track day. You're basically going one step up in spring rate from your weight class. I've never had any issues running tighter springs on the street. But then again my carsare set up very stiff too, so I'm used to a little bit of a bumpy ride. You will always have to sacrifice comfort for performance.

The shops can tell you more. Sorry I don't have any current references or recommendations, but I'm sure there's info out there in the old interwebs.

cheers

the blonde wease

Old 12-12-2008, 08:32 PM

Honda suggested suspension settings (AKA where to start)
http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_...gs/index4.html

How to dial-in your suspension (AKA how to tune the above)
http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0402_susp/index.html

Old 12-19-2008, 03:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run the same setup street or trackday. It gives me my baseline. If I run into a situation and need more then I'll adjust at the track. I only adjust for the street in weird situations like 2up. Otherwise I value the predictability of knowing what my tires, suspension, chassis are going to do at all times...one less thing to think about.

Quick Reply: who else wants that perfect suspension?!