F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

When should I shift gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 12:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: When should I shift gear

ORIGINAL: chestnut1011

thank you finally someones helpful around here really appreciate it does anyone know how much RPM can 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th and 6th could handle I DONT HAVE A MANUAL!!!!!!!
Then learn to SEARCH:

https://cbrforum.com/m_186438/tm.htm

Old 09-12-2008, 03:26 AM

Well actually if you have driven any sort of manual vehicle you would know you can shift whenever you want. Thats why i asked if you have driven a stick car. its the same ****

Old 09-12-2008, 07:33 AM

EVERYTIME u start the motorcycle, everytime u turn the throttle, everytime u use ur clutch, guess what you're doing? You're wearing the engine. But it's meant to be that way, as long as ur not going past redline ur fine. I almost always shift by sound and feel. I do the same on my s2k.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:42 AM
Banned

Wow.

The answer to your question is, don't lug your engine. Any revsabove that will yield more performance up until you get past a certain point on the torque curve (I think). BUT DON"T LOOK AT THE TACH! You will crash, look at the road.

But on a side note, it sounds like you should consider driving a car with a stick shift as practice. It'll give you a better feel for your bike.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: TurDz

ORIGINAL: chestnut1011

thank you finally someones helpful around here really appreciate it does anyone know how much RPM can 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th and 6th could handle I DONT HAVE A MANUAL!!!!!!!
Then learn to SEARCH:

https://cbrforum.com/m_186438/tm.htm
wow, advice from a no0b. classic

Old 09-12-2008, 10:08 AM

chestnut - by your last few posts it's pretty obvious that you haven't done a whole lot of research. Many of us on this very forum would search and search and read and learn for hours before posting - get into that habit, you will be better received on the boards and will ultimately become a more knowledgeable rider. Also as others have said in another one of your threads - sign up for the MSF course, now.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:03 AM

The whole point of shifting is to match you engine speed to your road speed. As the revs rise the engine gets louder and to a point should make more power and use more fuel. Where you shift in the rev range should depend on a few factors... If you are trying to get up to speed in a hurry delay shifting to get max power. If you are cruising around and don't want to attract unneccesary scorn form your immediate neighbors or the police shift lower in the rev range. Think of it this way= your machine is capable of going 60mph in all six gears. You will find a comfort zone where your shifting will match the type of ride you are on.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but TAKE THE MSF COURSE... ASAP.
I've been mentally riding since I was three, and physically since I was 17, but the course was still useful. Best thing about a course is you do all your learning on THEIR bikes! that's a sweet deal.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:39 PM

Chestnut, welcome to the forum. This forum is full of alot of experienced riders. Some of us have been on here a long time and we see all kinds of questions. Most of these subjects have been discussed before and the "search" function will more than likely find the answers you are looking for. But its better to search first and then ask your questions. There is never a dumb question, usually a bunch of smart *** answers. lol

Old 09-12-2008, 11:17 PM

ORIGINAL: Stephens
There is never a dumb question, usually a bunch of smart *** answers. lol
haha

yeah there are a lot of dumb posts on here...

Example 1

Example 2

i can seriously go on all night. In all honesty, the 'How do you add gas' post was probably one of the funniest posts i've seen in a long time, however, you're new to the forum, and to motorcycling it sounds like... so sorry if we bust your chops a little bit.

Be safe out there...

Quick Reply: When should I shift gear