F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

When it all "clicks" .......(long)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 08:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When it all "clicks" .......(long)

....the results are pretty amazing..

I got my '03 F4i last summer. Sold a VFR that I had for a short time, bought that one thinking I might be ready (old enough?) for a sport touring ride...and I always wanted a V4 Honda anyway...But it was too big, too stodgy, too ponderous, too....touring..I liked it OK, but I am not(yet?) a sport touring rider...I seem to be more of a sport rider and I really like tracks..

So when I got this F4i it was pretty sad...Flat black paint, orange rim strips, square tires, cheap brake pads, chain loose, ride height all screwy...handled really badly, but the kid who owned it, he probably didn't know the diff. This is the old wheel color with my new paintjob.
1-100_1811_zps8aa582aa.jpg?t=1365782973

I knew, going in, that I'd have lots of work, and indeed...it has been.

Starting with a slipping second gear that I missed on my pre-purchase test ride..causing me to end up buying a whole engine/trans and swap that in. I went through the rest of the bike, checking and adjusting things.
I put on some decent tires and set up the ride height....It was so far out it was pathetic...in a slow speed turn it was all you could do to hold the bike upright...It felt like I'd gotten on a chopper or something.
Then I painted it with a nice dark grey metallic and put some decent brake pads on and went riding. I was glad to be back on a sport bike. Last fall and this early spring, it rode pretty well in the canyons and back roads of Oregon with my buddies...at 8/10th (our street pace) I was able to match pace with almost anyone...but I knew it could do better still, there were some needed improvements to the equipment..

So earlier this spring, after a spirited ride out to Fossil, Or....(our NW US version of 'Deal's Gap' or Tail of the Dragon)
Name:  100_0257.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  140.2 KB
I went at the bike again with some further enhancements I knew would help...Stomp Grip tank traction pads, proper rate (95kg) Racetech fork springs, fresh fork oil and some Galfer SS front brake lines....
IMAG0362_zps6c4f11e0.jpg?t=1365782200

The Stompgrip pads are a bit ugly but allow you to control the bike with your body, not your hands and the bars.
Wow! I had it 'close' before, but this latest round, it really made things Click!
Before, it was fine but there wasn't the feeling that it was perfect...it was more like..."this will go, but I better be.....Oooh, that felt weird, but I'm still ahead of that R-1......."

Now, I feel like it allows me to go carving the turns without a thought or concern, except to decide where I want to be for the NEXT turn, and the next............Even riding in my Aerostitch, which is pretty slippery on the bikes, that Stompgrip tank pad was a real great addition...The brakes (with the Galfer dual SS front lines) are now predictable and not at all 'soggy feeling' like they were with the rubber lines. The front end doesn't dive so badly and the turn in is perfect with the fork legs raised to 40mm (7mm above factory spec) above the top triple. I also have the rear shock shimmed about 5mm at the top attachment, which brings the rear ride height up to compensate for the lowered front end and to quicken the handling. I haven't felt a hint of wiggle with this somewhat steep set up...surprisingly...I thought it would probably be a little too radical, but it seems perfect.
IMAG0346_zpsc76455e9.jpg?t=1365782740
The dual banjos on the Galfer lines..should have painted them black because they reflect on the instruments and make it hard to see the temp gauge..
I also checked the rear wheel alignment, and that was actually OK using just the factory swing arm markings...
Next project will probably be some new fork valving...I imagine when the suspension gets hot at a track day I will find the forks, at least, are under valved with the heavier springs...

I am really pleased with the F4i now. I don't think there are many bikes I'd have to 'worry about' staying with on the tighter highway stuff or shorter more technical tracks...Sure, a modern liter bike would pull better...but the handling on this bike is pretty dang sweet now....

Sorry for going on so...I am a happy rider...more track days, please....
Don Hanson

Last edited by 74demon; 04-12-2013 at 01:38 PM. Reason: fix pics
Old 04-11-2013, 08:42 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Where are the pics?

Hats off to you for taking on, and completing the project!

Old 04-12-2013, 12:26 AM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Don, I too have my ride height like you. The front is way down [I have marks from the fender hitting the upper fairing before I put the heavier springs in] and the rear is shimmed up. Its the only way to ride an f4i! One thing I'd recommend is some rebound valves. I can tell you with certainty that your rebound is not setup correctly and it can't handle the heavier springs. Otherwise well done!

Old 04-12-2013, 12:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 74demon
Where are the pics?

Hats off to you for taking on, and completing the project!
Thanks, it has been fun and I wanted an appropriate bike for my 'local' track..

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BI2mFHYPgiw?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

dunno if the video will come through...ORP in Eastern Oregon is a very technical track with lots of elevations and blind corners, not a liter bike track, perfect for the 600..

Oregon Raceway Park

I stuck some crummy snaps in the original post