F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Whats it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 03:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats it worth?

So I recently seized my engine hard as a rock thanks to a malfunctioning oil pump while doing twisties. After checking prices and a few things I decided I am better off selling my bike for parts rather than try to rebuild/replace the engine.
What I am not sure of is what is it worth? I am terrible with the whole blue book thing, i apparently am easily conquered by kbb.com ~_~

The engine is probably a loss as far as the block goes, the injectors, fuel rail, etc are all in good shape. The bike has never been down, the frame, swing arm, rims and all that jazz is in excellent condition both cosmetically and structurally. Does anyone have an idea what the whole unit would be worth with the engine and all? I have had a few people ask about it, but I am reluctant to say one way or another before I know what it is worth.

I am taking off what after market parts I can to try and make something off those (exhaust, PCIII, speedo healer, etc.).

Name:  100_2075-1.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  90.3 KB

Thats a picture of the bike a week ago, just before the pump went out. As you can see it is in good shape, the other side is identical as far as the kind of shape it is in.

Can someone who has an idea what this stuff goes for chime in here and give me something to go off of, or direct me to someplace that can?

Thanks guys,
Eric

Old 04-25-2009, 06:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you have a local motorcycle salvage yard, see what they might charge for some of the parts you are willing to part out. Also check Ebay and see what parts are selling off of there and base your selling price on that.

It probably would be easier to sell the bike whole. Some people would find it easier to by a bike for a good deal and then get the engine swapped. However, if you have the time, parting out the whole bike could bring you more money in the long run, but it could be a headache with selling each individual part, shipping, negotiating prices, etc.

Sorry to hear about the oil pump failing on you. Any idea on what caused this?

As for KBB.com, I would't go by that too much. Most people, if they want a motorcycle, they will pay for it, whatever they want to and motorcycles don't depreciate as bad as cars and can be better negotiated based on want and not need.

Good luck!

Old 04-25-2009, 07:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to give ya an idea...I bought my bike at a police auction for 1500, it had some fairing damage and no exhaust (2 bros mid pipe but no can), but I rode it home. You can get a good low miles motor off ebay for less than a grand, and your bike in running condition would fetch around 3500. So I figure 2Gs or 2500 wouldn't be unreasonable.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:06 AM
Default That F4i

Hey bro do some research and let me know what you want for the bike minus the mod's and,anything off the motor.To be honest the stuff that bolts to the bike itself aside from the fairing stay is always sketchy on e-bay it sells for little way less than what a salvage yard asks.I have no need for the motor or any of the parts,but the bike I would'nt mind having.I would even buy it with no fairings.I would just like the rolling frame with wiring harness and gauge cluster.If you want to try and work something out msg me.Thanks

Old 04-26-2009, 11:53 AM

I'm guessing he could find a really cheap engine with out the throttle bodies, wiring harness and ECU. That would be the way to go spend 500-600 on the new motor. There really not that hard to change out either. If not I'll buy the plastics and subframe to put on my naked F4.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:48 PM

How do you prevent the oil pump from malfunctioning?

Old 04-26-2009, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Hangfire
Kinda curious what research you did that made you decide to sell a $4k bike due to a $700 dollar part? You can get a motor for it off of ebay for about that or less. For a $700 dollar investment and your own labor you can be the proud owner of a mechanically sound, cosmetically pristine f4i, or you can sell it for 2 grand, toss in another couple grand of your own money and get one not nearly as nice.
To be honest, i just don't like the whole concept of swapping out the power plant. I am in college, the bike is almost paid off and I planned on selling it after this season. Its going to cost me the same amount to fix it as it would to pay it off. Inevitably I will end up spending a little more than just engine cost because I will find other parts that I need to fix it also.

I'm looking for a bike that is physically BIGGER. I am 6'6" and its kind of cramped quarters sometimes. i am trying to do it without going to a 1K because I LOVE how nimble the 600's are. As much as I love Honda, I am leaning towards a zx-6r, they are really comfy as far as a sport bike goes for me.

I am only doing this because I have so little left on it and I was going to sell it anyway. If I don't find a local buyer, it will end up on here.

Last edited by Exitwounds; 04-26-2009 at 03:08 PM.