F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

I am having FI light issues...HELP

Old 04-21-2009, 07:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am having FI light issues...HELP

ok...ive been looking up this issue for a couple days and i got a few ideas of thing to check out, but i want to make sure i am having the same issues as the other guys. i have an 02 f4i had it for about 5 years now and last yeari was riding with my wife it was really hot out and we had riding for quite awhile, well the fi light came on and the bike just died on me mid ride at about 30 mph. we sat and waited about 15 minutes i tried starting it and it started right up and we went on our way. this problem did not occur again til the next riding season, same problem so i just waited and it started about 10 minutes later, after that i sarted have another fi issue i didnt have before. during start up i would get no fi light andwith the no fi light i wouldnt here the fuel pump turn, so obviously the bike wouldnt start. id play with the kill switch for a bit and then the light would come on and the bike would start!

anyways to make a long story a lil shorter...i just took my bike out for hte new season ahead and it is having all kinds of problems with the fi. no fi light during start up...bucking and fi light flashing on and off while riding, and the other day for the first time ever i pulled to a light adn then the bike just died on me right there at the light, i couldnt get it re-started so pushed it to the side and waited a good 15 minutes or so got it started and headed home.

i have read to check the kill switch wich i have and it seems good maybe i should try an FPR replacement. i was just looking for some advice from people having simular problems and how they resolved them.

thanks

Old 04-21-2009, 02:54 PM

i am having the almost same problem.... but my bike wll just cut the rmps and then it kicks back on.... happened to me 8 times on one ride and totally died 2 times....i have the same bke too (02 f4i)
it sounds like a fule injection problem.... im still trying to fig it out

Old 04-21-2009, 06:10 PM

I'm no expert but I do troubleshoot for a living. Sounds like if the pump isn't turning on everytime you may have a loose wire. Or some corrosion somewhere.

Maybe replace the fuel pump. Again, I'm no expert, but troubleshooting stuff is my job.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:08 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try pulling some codes out of the ECM; Service Manual Section 5.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Incognito
Try pulling some codes out of the ECM; Service Manual Section 5.

Crazy as it seems this problem does not throw any codes.... I am having the same issue currently troubleshooting the problem. So far I'm down to an FPR or Fuel Pump. I have another post on all the troubleshooting I have done so far....in the other thread about the FI Light.

I still have a few other checks to do before putting my finger on the fix.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:07 PM
Lightbulb

Hey Everyone,

Can you look at my other posts about the light and see if anything rings a bell. Or better yet does anything come to mind prior to the incident...bike performance....any other issues with the bike....any additional work done prior to problem....I mean anything you think might be related to the FI light problem.

Maybe somthing might stand out....or maybe we can get some collective knowledge going.

Thank you much!

Old 04-24-2009, 10:59 AM

from reading around the forum it seems this is a more common problem than i thought. i dont know about anyone elses buke bikes but mine has a devil slip on and thats it. but its been like this for over 5 years and the problems arepretty recent, maybe the last 2 years or so. the were very sporatic but now they are often and quite annoying! im gonna order a FPR and a fuel pump and filter...once i get it installed ill let everyone know how it works!

Old 04-26-2009, 06:28 PM

well ran some 106 octane and some fuel cleaning products thru the bike today went for about an hour ride and had no issues..i also took apart the killswitch cleaned it resurfaced the copper inside...so heres to hoping!!