F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

whats it look like when you lube a gold chain

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 01:36 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

People are intitled to their opinions. The problem is telling someone your opinion as fact. drunkinmist stated in his second post that it was his opinion. If that was stated in the first post I wouldn't have been so blunt in my response. DrAwkwArD, you need to provide some facts to back up your claim. While MitchA's article might be from 98, the owners manual from a 2011 CBR will give you the exact same info.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

god y'all, chain cleaning isn't anything to argue about or lose sleep over.

first off, get a good DID, RK, or EK chain. then just clean it with kerosene or WD-40 every 500-1000 miles and then hit it with some dupont teflon spray lube from lowes. the teflon lube repels dirt and water so the chain stays very clean for hundreds of miles.

don't waste your time with sticky chain lubes that attract dirt and make your chain look like crap.

btw, chain slack is very important. if it's too tight your chain/sprockets will get chewed up real quick and it puts lots of stress on the engine. if it's too loose you'll hear it slapping around while riding. keep it around 30-35mm slack -- that's way more important than obsessing about lubing it all the time.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lmao this is funny. Anyway just my $.02 I clean my chain with diesel fuel every 4-500 miles and lube it with the recommended 80-90 every other tank of gas. I do mix some Lucas oil treatment with the 80-90 to make it stick better so I don't have as much flingoff. I have a gold DID chain with somewhere in the neighborhood of 24K on it presently with no tight spots or failing seals. It is a good Idea to get down and look things over every so often just to check things out. I carry an old eye drop bottle with lube in it so when I go on long rides I can hit the chain with lube at a fuel stop. That chain is on my 1100 BB. I have done 3 trackdays with it also . I ride in the rain and I take it to work at the sand plant where I work so it gets a lot of sand on it also. I even ended up doing a few miles of dualsporting this past weekend in the mountains of PA wish I had stopped to take a pic of the creek I had to cross.... :-) ya can't go wrong with a little lube every few hundred miles!!!!

Old 06-01-2011, 04:48 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Both of you quiet up. Someone throw some facts or stop talking and go by the owners manual as the manufacturers actually HAVE done their homework and have facts to back up their printed material.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok this here is an OPINION:
When in doubt, follow the manual's recommendations. I clean & lube my chain every 600 miles (give or take whatever's in the tank). It gives me a chance to do a detailed inspection of the chain looking for missing o-rings / damage / tight spots. Most of us look down to make sure the chain is still there and ride off on a normal day. The extra attention can't hurt, costs minimal and CAN save your life.

This here is a FACT:
I'm way too hot and tired after a long day at work to go through to individually warn everyone that participated in the flaming / baiting / trolling. So if your post disappeared, consider yourself officially warned. If you want specifics on why you were warned, PM me and I'll explain.

But for a quick explanation, the post prolly disappeared due to one of these

And not a single one of y'all hit the Report Post button
Now, let's play nice