F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Whats a good front tire

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 01:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it difficult to remove the front tire off a bike, ive never worked on a bike before. But i have done a good deal of work with cars so Im assuming they kind of relate?

Old 03-25-2010, 01:28 PM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

ya they kinda relate same basic principle.... ur prolly going to want to get front and rear stands to do this...

Old 03-25-2010, 02:15 PM

FYI I ended up just ordering a set of 2CTs since I've read NOTHING but great things about them thru some good searching. The front alone was $96 so comparable pricewise. I got the set for $220 which is average from what I found on 3 sites. Then off to retailmenot.com for a coupon code FTW

The way I see it, sure they're somewhat overkill for what I need, but I'm a fairly newer rider that NEEDS better equipment and for only $70 total over some Shinkos, why even chance it?

Old 03-25-2010, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by drew0387
is it difficult to remove the front tire off a bike, ive never worked on a bike before. But i have done a good deal of work with cars so Im assuming they kind of relate?
not the front tire...the front WHEEL, including the tire. undo the axle bolts on either side of the forks, and pull it out. make sure you don't break the brake calipers.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by drew0387
Here's my synopsis of how to remove the front wheel:

Once you have the front elevated somehow:

Unbolt the brake calipers; you should use a wire or cable tie to hold them up to the bike or forks, don't let them dangle by their hoses.

Undo the Right Pinch bolts (two bolts each on the front of the forks) and then unbolt the axle. Remove the axle bolt; then undo the Left Pinch bolts and remove the axle. Use dowel and rubber mallet if you have to. Remove the side collars.

Take wheel/tire to shop or change it yourself. When you get it back, make sure the arrow on the tire, when on the top, points to the front. The wheel itself should have either a rotational arrow or a left/right marking, too. Make sure the tire is installed correctly or it can seperate during heavy braking. I've seen shops put them on backwards.

On assembly, don't forget to lightly grease the axle. I use Bel-Ray waterproof grease, available in a little tub. One tub will last almost forever.

Slide the tire in and slip the axle through. Tightening order is important!!

Tighten the axle (43 ft/pounds), the RIGHT pinch bolts (16 ft/pounds), and then both brake calipers (22 ft/pounds).

Lower the bike, apply the brake, and pump the forks up and down a few times. This seats the axle and also checks the brakes.

Tighten the left axle pinch bolts (same torque as right).

Go riding.