F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

What is the clean air mod on a F4I?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 12:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ bingo.

oldskool21: No cable adjustment needed. Stunt guys adjust cables or add a dedicated idle cable to make the bike more responsive/powerful in the low rpms. Enjoy your added crank vaccum and smooth throttle.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It doesn't create more vaccume because the two valves on the crank close under acceleration. Take your air box off and put your finger over the hose that connects the PAIR valve to the air box. You'll feel a slight vaccume. Now twist the throttle and you'll hear the valve close and the vaccume disappears.

There is an alternative that doesn't block the pcv. Just plug up the Pair valve system and leave the pcv in place.

Many people perform a variation of this mod because it allows for a more accurate air/fuel reading when tuning a bike. However, they only block off the PAIR system and not the pcv.

And as far as stunters go, this mod keeps oil from entering the air box if the bike gets laid down. However with this mod the oil would just go into the exhaust ports which doesn't sound good. alternatively you can keep oil from entering the air box by just venting the pcv externally by routing the hose elsewhere and putting a filter on it.

Last edited by DBEAU; 04-01-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Rippin6Gears
It throws unburnt air/fuel back into to the intake system. Like I said it's Dyno proven mod so why would it be bad? Your hooking vent to vacuum pretty much in theory since the pair valve is just a tee now. As for the picture I just flipped the pair vavle around so all 3 lines can be hooked up and took the internal spring and washer out of the valve to act just like a tee(free instead of buying a tee) Plus you keep your pair valve plugging into your system.
I did it this way as well but instead I left the pair valve in it's original position, and just unplugged it instead of gutting it. There are many ways this mod can be done.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:42 PM

Anyone know the diameter of the T needed?

Old 04-01-2011, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by xricer
Anyone know the diameter of the T needed?
3/8 if I remember right from the link on the first page

Old 04-01-2011, 07:42 PM

did mine... i thought i read some where that this mod doesn't let oil in your air box...
why would they make block off plates if this mod was bad for your bike?????

Old 04-01-2011, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Kuchar09
3/8 if I remember right from the link on the first page
Cool, I think I'll do it tomorrow.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:00 PM

1/2" t

Old 04-01-2011, 10:32 PM
looks like I'm buying a 1/2" T, I pulled the hose that goes to the front of the air box and it's basically exhaust spewing from it when the bike is running, I would want real fresh air so it's definately worth doing to me.

Last edited by mikeyg2487; 04-01-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:57 PM

just a few things a pcv valve helps vent .. i work on cars and went to mmi for bikes a vent is needed or you will blow seals and gaskest. i will stand my that till the day i die . and the reson for that .. is i worked at a dealer and this car kept blowing the valve cover gaskest long story short the pcv valve was pluged shut . so can you just put a stright where the pair goes .. ??? and keep the vent . the vent is needed.. thats like us breathing in a bubble with no way to get air in or out . and for the people who will say it gets freash air . think about it its sealed if it was not the bike would lose oil. .and another experance i had my turbo set up on my car i was at high rpms doing about 140 .. and the dip stick blow out and blew oil all over every thing . why you say . becase my pcv tube was too small the motor could not breath correctly..

Quick Reply: What is the clean air mod on a F4I?