F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Went down on Bike freaking car cut me off

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 08:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Went down on Bike freaking car cut me off

you really don't want to impact anything. If you slide your was better off. My friend just about died from impact. He would have been way better off let the bike go down. After his accident, in the hospital we talked and asked what he was thinking. The stupid thought was he could hopefully had saved his Honda VTX 1800 from damage. What a bad day that was. I let him use my jacket. When the EMT's got there they cut it off him. Oh well better save his life than a rashed up jacket.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's simple physics. Your bike's brakes/tires can stop in a shorter distance than your body sliding against pavement. The idea of laying the bike down to avoid an accident is fallacial thinking. That's all I'm saying. Laying a bike down on purpose reveals a gap in your skills. It's a limitation that can be worked on.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:11 AM

Oh I understand that. He had two choices. One try to stop the bike well not very easy said and done with the pig of bike VTX 1800. The other one was gone off the road into the grass which he knew the bike would go down. Me I would have gone with the softer grass and dirt, then the road and impact.

thats what I'm say

Old 07-04-2008, 11:33 AM

+1 to avoiding impact, especially if you don't trust your ability (I did the exact same thing about a year ago). There's nothing that will save your spine if it gets caught decelerating your body from 30 mph to 0 over the span of inches.

But you really should practice emergency stops so you have an idea what your bike can do if things go bad. Any modern bike can stop like a demon- cruisers stop even faster than sport bikes- you just need to practice so you know what your options are.

Old 07-04-2008, 03:40 PM

You wanna talk about stopping powerI was at the track a couple months ago and decided to see how deep I could go before braking. Well, when I did I swear I felt my eyes pop out of the sockets. And then I saw God.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:03 PM
WOT

Going down sucks, and there are those who have and those who will. He did what he could and lived to tell about it which is good enough. The track isn't the same as the street so I wouldn't try to compare.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:11 AM

From time to time I "get in the zone" and read Keith Code. Reading your words, I hear a retort in my head of his words: "It doesn't matter what you ride, or where you ride the principles remain the same."

Don't think I'm belittling him or his efforts, or the fact that he lived to tell about it. I've crashed many times. I just disagree with the idea of passing around a false ideology so others could "learn" from it. It is dead wrong.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you don't run off to the grass in an attempt to lay the back down, but in an attempt to save yourself.
you don't bail off the bike to avoid something, because you'll slide right into it with the bike.

brake as much as you can then bail if you need to. i agree with jaybird, sliding body has no brakes...only friction to help you stop.
since i'm built like a tank, i'd take that car head on...and the car will cry.

pssss...you CAN brake with the bike leaned over, but too much and you will go down...but you can still brake pretty damn hard. i've done it many times. yes yes yes...it'll want to stand up...but you need to tell the bike who's boss and lean her back down.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:33 AM

Okay thanks to all I am in so much pain lol. Okay to clear things up about the drop. I was on a country road I hit the front brake while coming into a turn. The problem that made me drop the bike is the front tire started to slide and jump like chop. So applied more back brake while still riding into the turn. Then was like f@#k im not going to make this. So smashed the back brake and down I went. The car was positioned in the middle of the turn, turning my way going my direction. I saw them and slowed down just in case they pulled out, then they stopped so as I started to acceleerate they pulled out dumb. So to sum it up front and back applied at same time wouldnt stop fast enough so squeezed the front harder tire jumped and slid so smashed back brake.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:43 AM

I wouldn't even know how to diagnose that. I've never experienced front chatter like that leaned over. I've had it on the brakes on a bumpy section of track, but it's manageable...and I've got aftermarket suspension, so it was mostly soaked up.

As far as back brake...dunno never smashed on it in a turn, mine is desensitized...I can only lockup rear slamming REAL hard on a wet surface. I have however used rear brake to tighten a line when I'm a bit hot and running wide, but we're talking about a light tap.

If you tipped in on the brakes then you probably didn't have the front at max traction. Likely you slamming down on the lever at panic you braked more than you thought.

But that's all I got.

Quick Reply: Went down on Bike freaking car cut me off