F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Went down on Bike freaking car cut me off

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 12:19 PM
WOT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Went down on Bike freaking car cut me off

ORIGINAL: Jaybird180

Excuse me if this is insensitive but isn’t Emergency Braking a lot like turning in that if you have enough time and distance to drop the bike to escape collision, you have enough time and distance to brake?
Not if the bike is leaned over.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sir, we well both know that if you brake while leaned over the bike will stand up, thus allowing maximum braking.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

/\/\/\ huh? AFAIK, if you brake while leaned over your (front/rear) tire will wash out... or the suspension will do crazy stuff. If you manage to save the fall while braking, the decreased speed will actually cause more falling into the turn due to less 'centrifugal' force. Thus if you go hot into a turn, successfully braking might give you a tighter turn and prevent run off
If you turn the front tire into the turn that'll stand (or highside) the bike...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but If you roll-on the throttle, increased speed gives you more 'centrifugal' force, so the bike will get straighter (but decrease your turning radius).
I think braking in a turn makes the shocks compress and that gives you the feeling of getting thrown outward (standing up) but it's not real?

As in the msf course... FIRST stand the bike up by countersteering, THEN brake hard. or swerve. If it's too close, lowside the bike so that it's between you and the car

Sucks nsuhtrack, use full-beams now on... ghetto fix for the shift lever is to drill it and put a screw with the original rubber sleeve on it so it looks like a new lever... (you need to order the rubber separately if you haven't saved it from the crash). Did I say yet it was a ghetto fix?

Old 07-03-2008, 02:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MSF does not teach any advanced riding techniques. You CAN successfully brake while leaned over. You can even do it on corner entry. It's called trail braking. At street speeds you should have enough traction leftover that if you need to slow you can. It's the same as going around an exit to get on the beltway and the car in front slams brakes, but you can't stand up. You gently apply brakes to slow. The gyro forces will be trying to stand you up and you can resist by countersteering.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:23 PM

motogrid.com is another pretty good site

Old 07-03-2008, 04:36 PM
July 2008 ROTM

No offense to you, sorry for your accident, but why does everyone say they dump their bike in order to avoid an accident? If you have time to purposefully knock your bike over, you have time to STOP or time to SWERVE.

I would never purposefully dump the bike. I'd try my damndest to stop or avoid whatever I was about to hit, or I'd run into them. If my stuff is gonna get messed up because of their carelessness, I'm gonna break something of theirs in the process.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:56 PM

Like wise man! same thing happened to me yesterday morning on my way to work. I chose to lay her down as well and let me just say that it sure did ruin my morning! TO AKENS COMMENT ON THE CAR/BIKEIMPACT!Chances are you will not win! Bikes are replaceable you are not! Donttry to be superman!As i rolled on the ground i def. had some head time on the road*thank God i always wear my helmet becausethe road most likely would have ate through my scalp andinto myscull if i hadn't been wearing one, Fall wasfrom35 mph.My elbows, R shoulder, hip got a little rasheand helmet...broken pinky fingerand my baby got some rash on her right side.During the last seconds of it upfolding i saw the bike skidding to a stop and i checked myself out real fast and jogged to her and picked her up and took her to a nearby drive and went back and grabbed my mirror, windshield and other little pieces off the road and umm about 5 cars stopped and like 10 people asked me if i was ok. I was so i got back on and rode to work. Accidents happen very fast and we all know that we chance it every time we get on. Anyways Glad to hear your ok, and i am as well. SAFE RIDING TO EVERYONE ON HERE!

Old 07-03-2008, 10:13 PM

i dunn in my msf course he said to never brake while in a turn...and everyone that ive ever talked to also said not to except for u now

Old 07-03-2008, 10:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Jaybird180

MSF does not teach any advanced riding techniques. You CAN successfully brake while leaned over. You can even do it on corner entry. It's called trail braking. At street speeds you should have enough traction leftover that if you need to slow you can. It's the same as going around an exit to get on the beltway and the car in front slams brakes, but you can't stand up. You gently apply brakes to slow. The gyro forces will be trying to stand you up and you can resist by countersteering.

MY MSF show us how to brake(stop) the bike lean over and how to str8 up the bike and brake.... it wasnt the 2nd class this was a 1st time thing and first time ever on abike...with MT. And, my MSF offers an advance class after you pass the 1st... so ill say that lean braking is a basic move they teach you..class was taken june 9 2008

Old 07-04-2008, 02:15 AM

Trail braking is not at all a basic move, and it's a lot different from emergency braking while turning. They teach you never to brake while turning because of the risk of losing traction at your rear wheel.

A rear wheel that's sliding while you're turning hard to avoid a cage might be recoverable if you're an expert racer, but it's an automatic low-side for mere mortals, or if you regain traction it's a high-side.

Straighten up and then progressively squeeze the brake as the weight transfers to the front. The brakes will bite surprisingly hard before the rear wheel ever comes up.

I'd love to see a vid of a stoppied bike that's over more than a couple degrees.

Quick Reply: Went down on Bike freaking car cut me off