F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Weird Problem with Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 11:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Problem with Clutch

Ok I don't know what caused this to start but i can't seem to figure it out. I tried searching but came up empty handed. So it almost seems like my clutch is always engaged even when i pull the clutch lever in. I checked the cable and tried adjusting it but it just doesn't seem to work. i'm probably adjusting it incorrectly...

anyone else ever have this prob?

Old 08-23-2008, 11:36 AM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal
Default RE: Weird Problem with Clutch

most likely you burnt out the clutch this happened to my zx-7 Kawasaki a long time ago.. did you do any burnouts lately? its not that cheap to fix it if you fried the plates. but thats what it sounds like to me

Old 08-23-2008, 11:52 AM

no no burnouts. it just kinda happened. i usually granny ride the thing since i've owned it.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:10 PM

when adjusting the tension you should have 1/4" of "play" in the lever. check you oil also, not enough or old oil will affect your clutch.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:40 PM

You dont have to do burnouts to burn up your clutch. You can do wheelies and burn it up too. They are pretty simple to change out.what you need are new friction plates. you can find a clutch on ebay or www.bikebandits.com you can find the friction plates there too.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:23 PM

burnt plates will cause them to stay engaged? I would think just the opposite, that the clutch would slip even when engaged. but, I have never had to deal with the clutch, so I could be completely wrong.

my first guess would be that the cable is not adjusted correctly

Old 08-25-2008, 07:40 AM

yeah i've adjusted the cable several times. It seems to have the correct freeplay in the lever tho, so i don't think a new cable will help much, but do u think i should try that? I'll also try new oil as well before ripping into the clutch...

Old 08-25-2008, 12:22 PM

When you pull the lever in, that will dissengage your clutch. When it is release the clutch is enabled. So when you pull it in you can't shift? Or come to a stop without putting it neutral, the bike won't idle when you pull the lever in?

Old 08-25-2008, 02:35 PM

Did you check both clutch adjustments, or just the one on the handle bar? Does the clutch lever have tension when you pull it in? If so, then yeah you probably need new friction plates.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:43 PM

Stephens, that's the strange part. I've been riding motorcycles for a while and haven't encountered such a prob; i've encountered slipping just not the opposite lol. So in neutral it's fine, once in first gear it just wants to move forward. if i have the brake on, it'll stall. otherwise it'll be in first gear and rolling. and i can shift up and down fine, BUT it feels like it BARELY disengages, but it seems to be getting worse and worse.

And yes, CBR_Slim_T, i adjusted both. after realizing the lever one was at it's limit with no effect, i turned to the one by the engine for major adjustments. I have plenty of tension in the cable. So that is why i'm going to say it's not the cable.

Quick Reply: Weird Problem with Clutch