F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

weird noise and light - transmission related

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 12:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird noise and light - transmission related

Hi guys

I have been noticing lately that when my bike is un Neutral, and I perform some quick but 1/4 throttle accelerations, I can hear a noise comming from the transmission that sounds like if the bike isnt completely in neutral, like doing a little force, but not sufficient to move the bike forward.

I have noticed too when stopping on some traffic lights, that my neutral indicator (green light) flashes sometimes.. sometimes it doesnt come ON at all, but the bike is on neutral and i am stopped. if i accelerate a little bit, then the light flashes a little bit and comes on, or comes off again..

anybody has had this experience?

I will really appreciate your input

Alex

Old 05-17-2007, 01:25 PM
Default RE: weird noise and light - transmission related

I havent encountered that problem yet, however, it can be the neutral relay+swtiches. For some reason I believe it is a mechanical issues. Since you said you hear noises when you are in neutral and you see the light flashing; its possible that the switch is working correctly and you have something binding in the clutch and tranny.
Let see what other people say about this issue, but I would recommend changing your oil if there might be some thing in the tranny.( that is unless you did not change your oil yet)

Old 05-17-2007, 01:38 PM

the oil has just like 3000 miles by now. Syntentic Motul for sportsbike...

its due, but i dont think that would cause that noise that soon

Old 05-17-2007, 07:16 PM

I know that the oil has nothing to do with the noise. Im saying that you should flush you system incase there is something getting stuck/binding in the engine case. It could be metal shavings or the oil fitler could have broke apart. Before you start examining the electrical, it would be easier to start with flushing out the mechanical parts with an oil change.

Old 05-18-2007, 04:44 PM

thanks for your feedback alekinci

i will change the oil this weekend to see if it helps

Old 05-31-2007, 11:30 AM

guys update

this seems like the neutral is not fully engaging, and its binding with something while stopped. sometimes if i am running and i depress the clutch and accelerate (like to make noise so the cars can listen to me when going in between) the bike will try to move forward a little bit

what could cause neutral not engaging well when depressing the clutch? the steel plates binding to the clutch plates? time for new clutch packs?

Old 05-31-2007, 09:35 PM

I don't know alot about bikes, just applying automotive knowledge here, but I doubt the transmissions have clutchs, clutch packs, Valve bodys, etc.. Being as how this is a manual my guess is that you have two (maybe three) shafts with gears on them inside the transmission....The transmission most likely lines up what gears it wants using syncros....

My guess is that you have a sycro hanging up on one of the gears or a bent fork---Something of the sort......

For what it's worth, I had the OLD FZR out today to get it running better before selling it and noticed it shifts 100x better than my CBR... It also doesn't seem as notchy........I think the CBR shifter forks/syncros seem to have some sort of flaw from the factory....The dealer most likely knows what the common problems are...Only problem is that you usually have to pay them an hour flat rate diagnosis fee for them to tell you what the problemis.