F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

warped front rotors, cheap upgrade alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 04:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: warped front rotors, cheap upgrade alternatives?

yeah it feels like the tire is skipping, andi get front chatter.I was thinking that this was because my front forks were bottoming out on me, I am about 200 lbs + gear.
there's only one track day left this season, so im not going to mess with the suspension. But come spring i will have it tuned again, at the track. I've heard that under very hard braking front suspension might bottom out on the f4i's.

But i might have both things going here, bottoming out suspension AND warped rotors, as on the highway i dont brake hard and i feel the rotors are giving out a vibration.

snowboarding82, I dont really have clunking or wierd noises. but as said above i havea chatter. the only noise i have is when i come to a stop some times it will make a "clink" sound from some where in the front. im not sure what that is. have you checked your steering head bearings? those might be making the cluncking noise if they are loose.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:06 PM

Don't quote me on this for bikes, but when I had my STI, I heard (again secondary info) that warping is a myth. The brake pads leave a thin layer or deposit on the rotor thus the reason for a bed in procedure for new pads and the warped feeling is actually an uneven deposit on your rotor. Being that your bike has been to a track, it is possible this happened and your pads may also be glazed from the heat. Now, this MAY be a FREE fix by lightly sanding pads to remove the glaze and sanding the rotors with a light grit paper. You're not trying to sand down the rotors by any means, but you are trying to remove that layer of pad material. This may work and it may not, but it's basically free and comparing it to the other options it may be worth your time to try. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Not trying to give bad advice; just trying to help.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:12 PM

warping is not really a myth as far as I can understand. as a matter of fact; its easier to warp the rotor on a bike than on a car. since the rotor on the bike is much thinner its more likely to bend by going from extremely hot to rapidly cool.

sixhundred is right about the deposit on the rotors. brake pads do wear out unevenly on bikes and can cause the bike to sway a bit during hard braking conditions. however, that affect should have went away after Borka installed those fancy pads.since the new pads would have brushed off the old residue. although, it could be those new pads themselves(dang).

it also could be the peice of gum that is stuck on the front tire thats causing the chatter
edit:
thats a lot of things that need to be looked at. nuts!

Old 10-18-2007, 09:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Using excessive force on brakes while at light can warp them too. Heat + force = warpage

Old 10-18-2007, 10:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you still believe it's the rotors,then a simple test is what you should do.Take the rotors off, lay them on a flat surface and using a feeler guage check to see if there is any noticeable gaps between the surface and the rotors.Check all the way around the rotor.Or take them to a brake shop and ask them if theycan do aRUNOFF on the rotors.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:38 AM

great suggestions guys! this will keep me occupied some of this winter [sm=headbang.gif]

Old 10-19-2007, 11:54 AM

Oh yeah, Duh we forgot to tell you that. You can also lie them against plate glass. Remember that these are floating rotors, so the bushing area should be flat and the rotor itself should be level all the way around.

Old 10-19-2007, 03:49 PM

even easier... go to an open parking lot and get going about 35 mph.. fast enuff that the bike is steady with you standing up... lean over the front faring and look at the rotors while they are spinning... if you're shorter, you may want to take the front wheel hugger off, but i'm 5'7" and had no problem seeing it... it will be EXTREMELY obvious if one is warped.. I just replaced mine for this and it makes a world of difference..

Old 10-19-2007, 04:09 PM

Disagree. I've had a mechinic spin the front while raised and it wobbled a bit. I purchased an new set and still had the same problem. That's not a good way to determine if it's warped. These are floating rotors.

Old 10-19-2007, 04:34 PM

with the front being raised, it prolly would wobble, as it has no way to keep itself stable... being on the ground with pressure on it, it will stay straight enuff to keep the rotors stable... floating or not, at the speed that the wheel is spinning, the rotors should stay pretty straight.... and i guess i wasn't really clear... i meant it as a way of checking before you go through the trouble of taking the front wheel off...

Quick Reply: warped front rotors, cheap upgrade alternatives?