F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Valve Spring Extraction

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 12:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Valve Spring Extraction

I have been searching for a similar thread but have been unable to locate one. I am trying to extract my valve springs for inspection and I have no means of doing so. I do not want to buy honda's $100+ valve spring compressor tool because frankly I believe it can be done for much cheaper. I would like to somehow create my own for fairly cheap (or save myself all of the trouble and rent/borrow it from someone).

My questions are how exactly does the tool extract the valves. I understand the basic concept but I am looking for more specifics details, such as where do I place the tool, what does it should feel like if I am removing them correctly or incorrectly, are there any specific little tricks people have come across to make the job easier. I want to do the job as cleanly as possible and not muck anything up. I know if I really wanted this I would just buy the tool, but that takes the fun out of it.

Lastly, if I am to fabricate the tool, what are the critical dimensions I need to make the components. If I could find a video or pictures of someone completing the removal on their F4i I would probably have a better idea of what needs to be accomplished when creating the tool but as of right now I am trying to design in the dark and its not going so well. Also I do not have access to a welder but I have plenty of high strength epoxy to bond parts together.

Any information anyone could pass on or direct me to would be greatly appreciated.