F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Vacuum Lines

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vacuum Lines

Hi everyone just found the site a few weeks ago and finally registered.
I have a problem with my f4i. I looped it a while ago and finally got it all put back together and did the manual chain tensioner while i was at it. I have two vacuum lines that i have no idea where they go. I was throwing a map sensor code and found the vaccum line that i forgot about that went to it and now got rid of the code but i still have 2 lines that have vacuum to them and no clue where they go. The first one is under the farthest throttle body on the right side of the bike (if you were sitting on it) It is directly underneath it on the engine block. THe second is in the middle of the throttle bodies and is connected to the tee fitting. I see both tee fittings and they all have lines going to them and i dont see anywhere else for the lines to go. I tried to hook them up to the little pointed tabs on the bottom of the air box but they have no holes so im sure they dont go there especially since it didnt help with the throttle response. I appreciate any and all help i have a manual but i cant find anything in there that has the routing of the vacuum lines. Thanks in a dvance

Old 02-16-2006, 06:17 PM
Default RE: Vacuum Lines

Is your bike the California model or not, there are some differences in the vacuum lines between the two due to the emissions **** they have on there...I have a link to the PDF manual that I downloaded. http://www.gofastvideo.com/gallery/i...op-manual.html go there and click the play video link in between the two white squares and then save it. Once it's downloaded, you have the complete F4I manual in PDF format on your computer! I'm not sure if it's the same manual that you have. Anyways, in the PDF manual I found some good pictures of throttle body vacuum hose routing beginning on page 5-66. Hopefully this helps, I'm going to go outside now and see if I can spot that other vacuum line that is on the right side of the bike on the engine block without having to take the tank off and stuff, and hopefully I can see where it goes to...or at least the general area.

Old 02-16-2006, 06:46 PM

cool i really dont know what model i have i would assume since im in florida that its the non california model but who knows...I just looked in the service manual again for air cleaner removal and they state the two little tabs that come down on the air cleaner box are for the vacuum hoses, however i just looked at both and they both have no holes in the tubes meaning that they are just pointed pieces of plastic. I really dont understand this cause it looks like thats where they go, but when the map was without vacuum it had a high idle but didnt miss and hesitate like it is now. Unfortunately i dont see anyway to see the lines without lifting the tank up and supporting it with something. Ill download that pdf right now and see what i can find. I truly appreciate the help man...

Edit: alrighty first off let me say thanks for the manuals now i have a backup on the pc which is always a good thing. Second. According to the manual its the #1 vacuum hose and the #4 vacuum hose which do infact go to the two little tabs that protrude down from the air box. However i do not know if they are supposed to be solid or if they are supposed to have holed in them for the vacuum to actually do something. Set up like it is right now the hoses would be totally sealed and not sucking anything at all. Again i appreciate the help.

Old 02-16-2006, 07:30 PM

Hey, no problem...I think you'll probably have more luck finding the lines that you are trying to find by looking at the pictures yourself rather than trying to describe them to someone else. They have some pretty good pictures in there and hopefully you'll be able to see the ones that you are looking for. Plus now you have two manuals in case anything else happens to go wrong!

Old 02-16-2006, 08:04 PM

Does anyone know if running without a vacuum supply would possibly cause the map to go bad? It had the overflow for the coolant bottle running to it and then found the vacuum line that went to it and now im not throwing MIL anymore but the bike is running extremely rich and has poor power from idle when revving. Its running so rich that every time you rev its putting out a black smoke. Any idea as to whether or not it migh have fouled the plugs out or screwd the map sensor up. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 02-16-2006, 08:30 PM

A faulty MAP sensor could be the cause of that because it is one of the sensors that sends a signal to the engine computer that it uses for the air/fuel mixture. The MAP sensor should be fairly cheap to replace, I saw and airbox/MAP sensor/Temp sensor combo for an F4i on eBay for 50 bucks without shipping, so you would think that the sensor alone should be fairly inexpensive. Also, If the PCM detects a problem with the MAP, it should trigger the FI light. In this case you can retrieve the code to see what it tells you. It may take a while for the PCM to realize if there is anything wrong with the sensor, so you might have to ride it around for a bit to see if it will throw a code. You can tell what code it's registering by looking at the FI light when the engine is running and counting how many times it blinks. The PDF manual also has directions on how to read the PGM-FI's memory for trouble data. Go to page 5-6 to check that out, hope this helped some... Oh yeah...and it's better to be rich than lean, lol

Old 02-16-2006, 09:03 PM

yea i hear ya on the running rich over lean...Also i figured that it would trip a code if the map was faulty and seeing as how it was throwing that code b4 when i had the wrong hose connected to the map i figured it would throw it pretty quick since its now got vacuum so maybe its the plugs or something from running in safe mode for so long without the map hooked up. Either way i appreciatet he help.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:58 AM

This person asked about the hoses function. No one seemed to answer that. I too have the same question, the #1 and #4 vacuum hose that lead to the air box connect to the tabs underneath. The tabs have a very small hole on the front side that the hose connects to, but nothing on the other side (meaning it's not a through hole). What exactly is the purpose and function of that. And if all that's needed is a closed end would pinching the hose shut do the same thing as connecting it to the air box? If anyone has an answer please stay focused on the question about how it functions and not worry about what I said about pinching it shut, I was using that as an example. Thank you!