CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

vacuum lines?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 02:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vacuum lines?

there are like 4 vacuum lines in front of the carbs that all connect to a 'T'. you can see these if you take the airbox off. I believe they are vacuum lines, there is a line for each carb and they meet up and run down the middle of the carb assembly and out the back by all of the other vacuum and air hoses/tank. I need to know where this connects to? I have all 4 of the lines connected properly to the 'T', but when the larger hose leaves the 'T' where does it connect to? I think this is my problem with my bike. please help

Old 03-21-2008, 02:36 PM
Default RE: vacuum lines?

here is a pic of what i'm talking about. I can't see or figure out where it connects to. I highlighted the area i'm talking about in red.

Name:  vacuumlines.jpg
Views: 5281
Size:  31.7 KB

Old 03-21-2008, 03:11 PM

Just a guess...

Old 03-21-2008, 03:27 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Those additional lines you're talking about are for a Cali model. They are the additional emission controls the state of California has in place. If your bike is not a Cali model, you won't have the parts there hoses would attach to.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:04 PM

so if i didn't have a cali model where would the hose go? do i just leave it unconnected? I'm sure there is a reason for these lines. I don't have a cali model but i have these lines all attached to the bike, they have to go somewhere?

Old 03-21-2008, 07:34 PM

My assumption is if they are the hoses I'm thinking they are they will go into the air solenoid. Do not bypass or eliminate these hoses. They are very important if you want to avoid blowing up your bike.

Here is a link to what I did and why they are important. I gave detailed information on what I did and what I did to fix it.

I feel you pain brother. Really I do. I'm tempted to take off my tank to snap a picture. If it comes to that I will. Let us know

Ender
Rival Riderz
North County San Diego

Old 03-21-2008, 07:51 PM

damn dude, thanks for the help. you forgot the link tho lol hook me up!!!

Old 03-21-2008, 08:12 PM

Here is the link. Sorry I forgot. Let us know if you fix it or any other information to help out others.

https://cbrforum.com/m_340310/mpage_2/key_/tm.htm

I also copied the results on this port too.

Ender
Rival Riderz
North County San Diego

Thank you guys so much for all of your imput. I fixed the problem and I will give the best information I can give about how and why.

I owe a lot of thanks to Oceanside Motorcycle Supply in Oceanside, CA. Without their help I would have probably thrown a flare in the tank and walk away. Seriously, these mechanics and owners went way beyond what any shop would have or should have done. Their mechanics are top notch and I can't say enough. Here is what I found out to be the problem.

The air vent solenoid/EvapCAV solenoid(Direct Air Intake System D.A.I.)gets supplied fresh/ram air by a tube located in the front on the front fairing. It was missing the scoops that hold it in place. They fell downand was not getting ram air. This needs explaining.

The carb gets ram air from the airbox. It is air with pressure from the speed you travel. Meaning the faster you go the more air is forced in the airbox and then the carbs. Should be common sense right? Not as easy as it seems when you also have to supply the carbs with the same pressure in the bowls. I'll try to explain.

The ram air is forcing and creating different pressure from ambient air. The bowls and floats and jets need the same pressure(asthe ram ) in the airbox/carbairhorn. A change in pressure, restrictedair flowor introduced ambient pressurein the D.A.I. will cause thebowls to drain and not replenish with normal usuage. That is why I was able to get a good run through first gearbut not getmuchfaster in second, third etc. I was soconcerned with the tac that I didn't notice it was speed that was causing this. It was starving for gas because of the difference of pressure in the D.A.I.

Aftera monthhere is what happened. I think I've tried everything. I trouble shot everything I could think of. I checked the fuel and all the components. I even swapped out the fuel pump relay just for the hell of it. (bet you didn't know the fuel pump had a relay. I didn't either). I checked the emissions. I closed off emission. I checked all the electrical. Yes, I rung out the whole system pretty much. Everything I could ring out except the CDI (computer). Instead of cheching that with heat and read out I replaced it with two different known goodcdi's. I pretty much took every piece of suggestions given at this sight. Yes I did compression test too. 190,195,165,200. Almost did the valves for the hell of it. Pulse generator checked out too. You name it brother! Ignition relay R&R (remove and replace) Air solenoid R&R. Somebody make a suggestion because I'll bet you I already checked it. Anyway, It was a silly solution to major problem. I used two tie wraps to secure the hoses of the D.A.I. in direct ram air.

One important part I forgot to mention. I had finally got in touch with an important man in motorcycles. Curt Jordan of Jordan Engineering. He does not take people off the street. His main job is to write the manuals we use to fix our bikes. Pretty smart guy and very nice too. He hooked my bike up to the Dyno and found out my bike does 145mph+ with no problem. Also with the information was able to deduce that my bike was fine in a simulated road condition but no dice on road test. With the amount of unspent fuel on the dyno and the complete opposite on the road we were or should I say HEfigured outitneeded ram air to cause the problem. It was easy after that.

For those who havea simular problem and it feels like a carb problem please

Old 03-21-2008, 08:52 PM

ok, i have eliminated the air vent solenoid valve already. I don't have the two hoses for the front of the bike in the ram air right now but what i did fixed most of the problem. once i get my fairings in the mail i'm going to install the two hoses and hook it up somehow to what i have already done.

At the moment I only have the two hoses that come directly off of the ram air box right before the air box connected, and I have them connected in a way that deletes the air vent solenoid valve. My bike would not go over 60 mph before i did this and now i have had it to about 130 on a test. I'll try to explain a little better.

If you study this picture, I have the two hoses off of the ram air box hooked up, not the two hoses that sit in front of the bike above the ram air box.

I have them set up as follows:

If your sitting on the bike, I have the hose on the right side of the airbox connected and it runs down through the spot where the air vent solenoid used to be and ultimately connects in the middle of the carbs. I have it connected to a large diameter nipple that sits directly in between the 2nd and 3rd carb.

If your sitting on the bike, I have the hose on the left side of the airbox connected and it runs down through the spot where the air vent solenoid used to be and ultimately connects to a 'T' and one side goes to a smaller diameter nipple (much like the larger one that the other hose is connected to) that is in between the 1st and 2nd carb as well as the other side of the 'T' going to a smaller diamter nipple in between the 3rd and 4th carb.

Now, I hope that clears a little up. Before doing this the bike was barely rideable on the highway, I hated doing it. Now it runs up to speed just fine but still has a little bit of a stumble present.

I'm pretty sure that once i get my fairings in and connect the other hose that sits in front of the bike that it will run fine.

My main question for this post is that I have 4 vacuum lines that sit at a 4 way 'T' directly in front of the carbs. You can only see these if you have the air box assembly off. They connect to a 'T' and the hose that runs off of the 'T' is routed through a passageway in between the 2nd and 3rd carb under the air box and out the backside to where all the other hoses are. The diagram that was posted earlier in the post (see 2nd post of mine) shows the vacuum lines i'm referring to. I do not have a cali model, nor do I have any of the emissions equipment that they come with. I just need to know where this hose plugs into or if i can cap it off, etc...

I hope i was detailed enough in my explanation, if you are unsure about something or something isn't very clear to you ask me and i'll let you know.

Please Help!!!

Old 03-21-2008, 09:01 PM

is there anyway you can take a pic? it would make it a lot easier short of tearing my tank off.

Quick Reply: vacuum lines?