F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Upgrade or Update?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 01:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrade or Update?

Hi all.

I've got an 01 F4i with 27,000 miles on it that I picked up last november in pretty rough shape. I know it was dropped on both sides, possibly crashed, but besides the cosmetic scrapes and such I've got it up and running nice. I only managed to put 3k miles on it this year, but I've really grown fond of it.

However, everyone wants a new toy. I don't have any problems with it at all, just a list of things that I'd like to be different.

1. Projection headlights or HIDs, almost all of the roads/highways around here are unlit. I don't go fast at night, but better headlights would always be nice. I'm running the brightest silverstars in there, but I'm still looking for more. This may be related to item #2.

2. Raise the front of the bike back up. First owner (I got it from the 2nd) lowered the bike about 1.5" in the front. I'm pretty sure all they did was drop everything along the forks. I don't need the lowered height, and the slant means that I end up with the jewels crammed against the tank often, even when gripping the tank with my legs.

3. New chain/sprocket. Not bad yet, but definitely needs to be done in the next couple thousand miles.

4. New/repair plastics. The ones on there now aren't bad, but have a couple deep gouges in them where it was dropped. They are poorly cut for sliders, but didn't have any installed, or he went down alot faster than I think and he ground all the way through them.

5. CCT rattle. Need to get around to changing it, but the replacement is based on if I keep the bike or not.

6. Lots of little knicks and dings from being dropped. Not a lot of damage, just lots of small stuff on exhaust, footpegs both have feeler holes broken.

I'm trying to decide if I should do the work and keep the bike, or just sell it and buy a newer 600. I've ridden friends literbikes and I'm thoroughly convinced that I have no need for a bike that big, and that having one would probably be bad for my health.

Thoughts?

Old 10-17-2011, 01:41 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If ur happy with the power...keep it since bike is mechanically sound. Upgrade only when you want more power.

Make a list and get 1 thing done per month...1-2 years later, bike will be in tip top shape (without putting a hole in wallet) if not better than new. Bike will be in the 30+K mileage...that's nothing for a Honda....

Originally Posted by comodidit
Hi all.

I've got an 01 F4i with 27,000 miles on it that I picked up last november in pretty rough shape. I know it was dropped on both sides, possibly crashed, but besides the cosmetic scrapes and such I've got it up and running nice. I only managed to put 3k miles on it this year, but I've really grown fond of it.

However, everyone wants a new toy. I don't have any problems with it at all, just a list of things that I'd like to be different.

1. Projection headlights or HIDs, almost all of the roads/highways around here are unlit. I don't go fast at night, but better headlights would always be nice. I'm running the brightest silverstars in there, but I'm still looking for more. This may be related to item #2.

2. Raise the front of the bike back up. First owner (I got it from the 2nd) lowered the bike about 1.5" in the front. I'm pretty sure all they did was drop everything along the forks. I don't need the lowered height, and the slant means that I end up with the jewels crammed against the tank often, even when gripping the tank with my legs.

3. New chain/sprocket. Not bad yet, but definitely needs to be done in the next couple thousand miles.

4. New/repair plastics. The ones on there now aren't bad, but have a couple deep gouges in them where it was dropped. They are poorly cut for sliders, but didn't have any installed, or he went down alot faster than I think and he ground all the way through them.

5. CCT rattle. Need to get around to changing it, but the replacement is based on if I keep the bike or not.

6. Lots of little knicks and dings from being dropped. Not a lot of damage, just lots of small stuff on exhaust, footpegs both have feeler holes broken.

I'm trying to decide if I should do the work and keep the bike, or just sell it and buy a newer 600. I've ridden friends literbikes and I'm thoroughly convinced that I have no need for a bike that big, and that having one would probably be bad for my health.

Thoughts?

Old 10-17-2011, 05:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by comodidit
Hi all.

Thoughts?
i would decide if you wanna keep it or not before you even bother with anything.....i was in the same boat with my f4i and was debating on getting a newer bike but since i dont race it most of the newer bikes would serve no purpose for me and my f4i runs great and from what i hear the 600rr arent as comfortable to ride as the f4i

Old 10-17-2011, 09:02 AM

Yeah if you like going on long rides or ride all the time forget a 600rr. They're not terrible but you'll miss the F4I. My friend bought a 600RR and after sitting on my F4I he immediately regretted it. That and aside from being a touch more maneuverable his bike was no faster than mine. In a straight line they were dead nuts side by side.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:36 AM
October 2011 ROTM

I'm going to have to disagree with all of you on this one. I went from the F4i to a 600RR and immediately loved that I made the switch. The RR is all around a better bike. I am not saying the F4i isn't a great bike because it is but the RR is that much better. Everything on it is so much smoother. The RR is not any more uncomfortable than the F4i. Yes it is a different position but I am not uncomfortable on the RR. The only thing that the F4i has on the RR is more low end torque. Other than that the RR is far superior bike. You can ask Nate, Blake (600F4inoober), Kunal (inco9nito99), KdubyaH, iJapanesey or itsme71190 and they will all tell you that they are very happy that they made the switch to the RR. I was in the same boat as you. My F4i needed new brake pads, new tires, new chain and sprockets not to mention the electrical grimmlin that I had going on with the tach. I figured instead of investing time and money into the F4i I would save that money and put it towards the RR which I have always loved. I did and couldn't be happier. Just because you are going from a 600 to a 600 doesn't mean that there is no reason to upgrade. Technology has come along way since 2000.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by R Dub
I'm going to have to disagree with all of you on this one. I went from the F4i to a 600RR and immediately loved that I made the switch. The RR is all around a better bike. I am not saying the F4i isn't a great bike because it is but the RR is that much better. Everything on it is so much smoother. The RR is not any more uncomfortable than the F4i. Yes it is a different position but I am not uncomfortable on the RR. The only thing that the F4i has on the RR is more low end torque. Other than that the RR is far superior bike. You can ask Nate, Blake (600F4inoober), Kunal (inco9nito99), KdubyaH, iJapanesey or itsme71190 and they will all tell you that they are very happy that they made the switch to the RR. I was in the same boat as you. My F4i needed new brake pads, new tires, new chain and sprockets not to mention the electrical grimmlin that I had going on with the tach. I figured instead of investing time and money into the F4i I would save that money and put it towards the RR which I have always loved. I did and couldn't be happier. Just because you are going from a 600 to a 600 doesn't mean that there is no reason to upgrade. Technology has come along way since 2000.

+1 to the upgrading section of this life story. Im in the same boat, Im debating on getting a 1000rr since I need to fix a gang of stuff on my F4i (I really really really want my Tach back). I would probably make my F4i a track only bike. But the only difference between RR and F4i is positioning really. I seen to many RR vs F4i threads to come up with this conclusion, everyone says the samething. RR has more handling then F4i. **THIS IS STRICTLY MY ASSUMPTION, plus i have my flame suit on**

Old 10-17-2011, 07:39 PM
Banned

I would test ride any bike you get before you consider switching then atleast you will have a better idea

Old 10-20-2011, 12:41 AM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

You haven't even had it a year or repaired it fully and your thinking about getting something else? Why did you buy it in the first place then?