F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

undertail idea

Old 02-11-2010, 04:05 AM
Default undertail idea

I've got an 01 F4i and i'm thinking about completely hacking off the fender and replacing my stock blinkers and light with an integrated and that's it....no buying an undertail and using whats left thats already on the bike....has anyone done this before and a pic would be awesome!

thanks

Old 02-11-2010, 05:40 AM

my 06 has led taillights on the back, connected directly to the underside of the back. i think thats what you mean by integrated ( i did not do it, but i can take a picture and show you how it looks :shrug:

Old 02-11-2010, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by VTcbr View Post
I've got an 01 F4i and i'm thinking about completely hacking off the fender and replacing my stock blinkers and light with an integrated and that's it....no buying an undertail and using whats left thats already on the bike....has anyone done this before and a pic would be awesome!

thanks
I don't think that it's possible to completely hack off the fender and not add a different undertail. You can cut it to the key hole though and drill a hole in your license plate or just mount your plate right under it. There are plenty of people who have done this and posted their bike in the picture thread.

Last edited by teko1020; 02-11-2010 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:36 AM

Thats exactly how mine is. (came like that). Cut it level (back to front) right under the key hole and stock blinker holes (keeping them intact). The guy used some sheet metal (galvanized) and cut it to fit the hole left in the trunk, with 90* bend for the plate to mount to. He screwed it in with three different screws up through the bottom into some of the thicker plastic that was left. I plan on redoing it with some aluminum diamond plate I have access to. (someday) I'll take pics later.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:44 PM

that would be interesting to see, please take pics, cause my bike is exactly like yours and i also want to do an undertail or something...

Old 02-12-2010, 04:06 AM

Essentially i'd like to find a way to completely remove the fender, install an integrated taillight, and relocate the lock....

Old 02-12-2010, 07:34 AM

this is what I did with mine...I cut the fender off up til the keyhole...I wanted to mount the plate flush with the tailight but didn't want to lose my key whole...so I rigged this up.
I made this for funtionality.......not to be used as a plate flipper
Name:  licenseplatefolded.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  56.6 KB
Name:  licenseplateunfolded.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  34.5 KB

Old 02-13-2010, 04:15 AM

Chetman looks great, awesome idea....do you have any side shots of the fender (or lack there of)?

i assume you have an integrated with your blinkers in your taillight correct?

Old 02-13-2010, 04:16 AM

how do you keep the plate from flapping up while your riding? looks like the wind wouldn't have a problem raising it up...

Old 02-13-2010, 08:34 AM

Its in storage down the street since I currently live in a apartment complex. Ill see if I can dig any up on photobucket

Yup the taillight is integrated but the holes for the turn signals are adjacent to the taillight. I'm gonna end up putting stalks in for safety.

As for the wind...it does not move it . The hinge is pretty tight. I thought it would but I tested it at ~90 mph. Dunno how long its gonna stay tight for but I can easily swap out to another hinge in a matter of minutes and for cheap

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: undertail idea

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.