F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

UK F4i, 'project' and diary

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Handily my new front reservoir diaphragm has stopped brake fluid leaking. Front headlight fairing arrived today, the set is now complete. I will drop it at my paint shop in the coming days.

Old 11-21-2019, 05:46 AM

I spent some time with my heat gun and removed all the decals from the spare plastics:

I then hit it all with 400 grit and took it to my trusted paint shop. We negotiated back before Christmas. Knowing previous time frames it will be longer...

Old 11-22-2019, 01:09 AM

Not such good news - took the bike for a regular run last night, it was raining there and back, around 6 miles each way. The indicators wouldn't work properly, sometimes OK if switch held on and fine with the alarm so I figure it's the switch. More worrying however, I could smell burning on the way back and when I reached home there was smoke coming from the radiator / exhaust area. It's not the first time I have smelt the burning / smouldering smell, only when used in the wet, but smoke - I've not had a bike smoking before. Investigation needed.

Old 11-22-2019, 01:24 PM

Investigations complete:

indicators - split switch and sprayed liberally with GT85 and both now work. Right side perfectly, left side starts with a half flash before flashing normally. I'll remove and strip the switch assembly tomorrow, I suspect the pronged tabs need 'adjusting' i.e. bending.

burning smell and smoke - washed the bike with liberal amounts of water then stripped the plastics and ran the engine. Exhaust is corroded (knew that already) but still gas tight, (stainless replacement headers are planned), water is running down and sitting on top of the collector and, once hot, being boiled to steam, Surely this must be a design 'feature' ? Solution - drill some holes (3 planned) in the plate that joins 2 and 3 at the collector to let the water drain out. Does this ring any bells with anyone?

Old 12-02-2019, 05:21 AM

I stripped the left hand switch assembly down to components parts, cleaned everything, greased and re-assembled, it works like a new assembly now, most satisfying.

The plate at the very bottom of the exhaust has 5 6mm holes in now, I ran the bike and hosed the area and steaming was minimal and only really from the downpipes so that's solved too.

While the plastics were off I pictured the frame spars as promised:

Thoughts?

Old 12-03-2019, 04:59 AM
jcg
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bludclot
I stripped the left hand switch assembly down to components parts, cleaned everything, greased and re-assembled, it works like a new assembly now, most satisfying.

The plate at the very bottom of the exhaust has 5 6mm holes in now, I ran the bike and hosed the area and steaming was minimal and only really from the downpipes so that's solved too.

While the plastics were off I pictured the frame spars as promised:

Thoughts?
Hi, found your thread really interesting. I also recently picked up a 2002 CBR600F which has been kept in great condition. I have faced some very similar issues such as indicator sticking and also the steam when the bike gets wet.

Could you share where you drilled the holes to prevent the build up of water? this my first bike so not 100% where you mean.

How easy is it to strip the indicator switch, having never looked inside would love if you have any advice? I sprayed some GT85 in there which has helped but the switch is still a bit sticky so thinking a full strip would be best.

Old 12-03-2019, 01:37 PM

jcg: Experience tells me that models of vehicles tend to have the same problems and same rust areas, just walk around a large car park and you'll spot the same rust areas on the same body shapes.... Worry not about dismantling the indicator switch, there's not so many parts to it. Watching a video should give you confidence:

I removed the switch from the bike entirely, undoing the multi-plug where it meets the loom in front of the headlight. It makes the work easier but is not necessary.

Regarding the exhaust holes if you look under the bike there's a reasonably thick plate welded between the pipes for cylinders 2 and 3, it's an obvious water collection point. Holes in the centre of this serve as drains. I used an angled drill, a conventional drill won't fit unless the bike is laid on one side or the exhaust system removed. Just make sure you drill through the centre and not though the exhaust itself. I wouldn't expect a miracle, water will still evaporate from the downpipes but worrying steaming is at least relieved. An internet search after I posted here revealed other owners having steam issues too, I am surprised nobody replied here, I figure this forum is pretty quiet.

Old 12-03-2019, 03:51 PM
Welcome crew
Received 212 Likes on 191 Posts

I am surprised nobody replied here, I figure this forum is pretty quiet.
Unfortunately, it seems older CBR models don't have as active a community as other models. Still enjoy the pics and write-ups as it helps me get to know the bike better so I offer you my "thanks" and hope you keep going!

Old 12-05-2019, 12:37 PM
jcg
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

jcg: Experience tells me that models of vehicles tend to have the same problems and same rust areas, just walk around a large car park and you'll spot the same rust areas on the same body shapes.... Worry not about dismantling the indicator switch, there's not so many parts to it. Watching a video should give you confidence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob4JWFQ6aTc

I removed the switch from the bike entirely, undoing the multi-plug where it meets the loom in front of the headlight. It makes the work easier but is not necessary.

Regarding the exhaust holes if you look under the bike there's a reasonably thick plate welded between the pipes for cylinders 2 and 3, it's an obvious water collection point. Holes in the centre of this serve as drains. I used an angled drill, a conventional drill won't fit unless the bike is laid on one side or the exhaust system removed. Just make sure you drill through the centre and not though the exhaust itself. I wouldn't expect a miracle, water will still evaporate from the downpipes but worrying steaming is at least relieved. An internet search after I posted here revealed other owners having steam issues too, I am surprised nobody replied here, I figure this forum is pretty quiet.
Yes would agree about most vehicles rusting in similar places.

Great video, it helped me out greatly. I managed to take a look today and the old grease in the switch had turned very sticky almost glue like. Used some contact cleaner to clean it up and then reassembled with some silicon grease in the right places, it's now working perfect.

Haven't managed to take a look at the exhaust yet so will do that next, not sure I will have a drill suitable but shall check to see.

Last edited by jcg; 12-05-2019 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Shame about the frame spar, you might get away with rubbing it down and painting or spraying over, have a look on RS Bike Paints (I think they’re called) I got a paint match for the frame colour on the F-Sport.

I had a VFR that went a bit like that on the frame, it was always by the VIN plate they went because of the rivet hole.

Quick Reply: UK F4i, 'project' and diary