F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

UK F4i, 'project' and diary

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 12:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently added braided hoses to my 2002 F-Sport (UK) and it did make a massive improvement over the very old factory lines; I think pads will be my next move and a master cylinder rebuild (as it's probably the original).

Test rode a ZX6R at the weekend, holy cow the brakes were epic....not sure the CBR will ever get up to that standard?

Old 10-22-2019, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's surprising how good standard brakes (and suspension) can be made when refreshed and assembled with care and accuracy....

I had looked at the rear brake pedal with suspicion even before buying the bike. Once the rear caliper was removed and there was no resistance to pedal movement it failed to clear the fairing when pressed. I ordered a replacement which came today, here they are alongside each other:

Now I have a pedal that not only clears the fairing but is in the right place for my boot. Details like this make me happy.

Old 10-22-2019, 03:09 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by roundyuk
Test rode a ZX6R at the weekend, holy cow the brakes were epic....not sure the CBR will ever get up to that standard?
Sure. Put a radial master cylinder on and put expensive pads in the calipers.
All 3 of my other bikes have radial calipers and masters. While the feel is much different, I don't feel like I'm lacking brake ability on the F4i.

Old 10-23-2019, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by bludclot
Cared for calipers - the best sort....

New stainless split bolts. All three disks will have new titanium screws, they are already here.
Are they OEM bolts or did you source elsewhere? Mine are proper tired and your callipers look great!

Old 10-23-2019, 02:17 PM

See here, £7 for all 8 bolts:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CBR...72.m2749.l2649

I tend to renew any mild steel fasteners for titanium or stainless as I go through assemblies on a bike, it makes for much easier future maintenance. So does copper slip and torquing to correct values, things tend to come apart much more easily next time around.

Old 10-23-2019, 02:32 PM

See here, £7 for all 8 bolts:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CBR...72.m2749.l2649

I tend to renew any mild steel fasteners for titanium or stainless as I go through assemblies on a bike, it makes for much easier future maintenance. So does copper slip and torquing to correct values, things tend to come apart much more easily next time around.
Sweet, nice one, have ordered from those guys before...although I was slightly disappointed with the fairing bolts I ordered, horrible spacers instead of actual shouldered bolts, and small hex size.

Assume the pad retaining pins are OEM?

Old 10-24-2019, 05:41 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Not to mention looking so nice!
Is cooper slip an anti-sieze lube I'm guessing?

Old 10-25-2019, 01:24 PM

Just fitted my bolts this evening, so much of an improvement! Just need to order some pads pins now to finish the look :-)

Before and after...

Old 11-10-2019, 05:38 AM

After an interminable wait my wheels and hugger returned from the paint shop:

So I re-assembled the bike and bled the brakes through. First ride was on wet roads at night, not ideal for brand new tyres with mould release agent still on them, but what a difference! Handling feels more neutral and brakes are improved by about 400%, great initial bite and a good progressive feel.

Following the ride I checked everything thoroughly and found the front reservoir to be weeping from the lid area, which would probably explain why the two securing screws were ridiculously tight when I removed the lid initially. I ordered and fitted a new rubber diaphragm two new screws, let's hope that fixes things.

I have also ordered a genuine used nose cone from ebay, that pushes spending to over £1000 already.

Old 11-10-2019, 08:03 AM

Wheels looking ace! Was that powder coat or paint?

Thinking of getting mine done, but need to find someone who can match the anthracite colour of the F-Sport.

Quick Reply: UK F4i, 'project' and diary