F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Twisted Front End Help!

Old 10-22-2011, 05:42 PM
Avi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just like the fork tubes can twist in the lower triple, they can twist sideways on the top one.

support the bike either as suggested from the sliders , or jack it up carefully under the engine (not from the exhaust headers!) with a piece of wood as a contact point, and loosen all pinch bolts and preferably also the wheel axle.

now check with a piece of flat glass over the two tubes. glass is easy to find as a flat plate as opposed to metal.
if the glass touch each tube with 2 points they are parallel, if not straighten them up. now start tightening the bolts a little at a time, while checking alignment every few torquings.

p.s. also loosen the steering column nut in case the two triples are out of alignment with each other.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mjbanks
Im just getting into learning about the suspension, i know what the preload adjusters are but could you be a little more specific like what to do with them? Thanks in advance!
Here is an excellent suspension guide every rider should read and understand.
Suspension Setup Guide - Sport Rider Magazine
The site also has "suggested suspension settings" for every bike ever made. Every rider is different but they are a good place to start. Here is the F4i page

If you have brand new perfectly strait forks and trips, you CAN NOT install them out of alignment with the bars. Everything will will automatically be "in line" because the upper and lower trips can independently swivel. And there are NO adjustments to be made except for front ride height. So the fact that your bars are that jacked up means that you definitely have some twisted tubes or other damage. You can obviously try to bend them back, but theres always the risk of doing more damage.

I suggest you sell that rear brake stunt setup that you dont use (looks like a nice one) and use the money towards a 954/929 front end. or stock.

Last edited by Sick97SS; 10-24-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:15 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks sick thats a great guide. So i just tried erns idea and loosened the bottom bolts and tried straightening it up. unfortunately had to do it by myself so it took alot trial and error but i got it pretty straight. I still think its a little off though it just doesnt look right to me. Heres some pics im gonna try avis method next just need to install my frame sliders first.

photo1-1.jpg?t=1319482989
photo2-1.jpg?t=1319482988
photo3.jpg?t=1319482994

its actually a brembo setup with a hel stainless steel brake line. Got new levers (thats the black brake lever) but the original perch is out of commission so need a new one. how much do you guys think i could get for the whole set up?