F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Transmission Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 01:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Question

What is the "normal" sound that your bike makes when you are slowing to a stop and downshifting to first? My bike really "slams" into the gears when I am downshifting, and also makes a "clunk" noise when doing it. Any suggestions? Oh, and thanks to everyone for their help in the past. This bike has been nothing but trouble, but I love it.

Old 06-20-2006, 02:04 PM
Banned
Default RE: Transmission Question

Are you pulling in the clutch, waiting a while, letting off the throttle completely then changing gears? I've found that my F4i, likes to be shifted quickly, up or down, almost so fast that the motor doesn't lose revs. Hands and feet have to work together at the same time to get smooth shifts. Ideally, I'd want to shift very quickly and match revs to where the new gear would want it, but my hands and feet aren't quite that coordinated yet. Make sure you don't pause in neutral and coast, that'll make a huge racket. The other thing is, I believe that our gearboxes aren't synchroed so it requires the operator to have some ability to make it work smoothly.

Old 06-20-2006, 02:19 PM

Well, I do coast for a little before I stop and downshift. So you think that might be the problem? I just need to down shift right away before I stop, instead of pulling in the clutch and coasting before the downshift.?

Old 06-20-2006, 02:57 PM

fishfryer had some good points...the biggest slams i get are when i occasionally get on it first then miss second so i have to pull in the clutch and reshift into second while im coasting at about 40mph, it really slams.....but as far as downshifting, I never downshift into first gear unless im literally doing 5mph or less (i would never downshift into first at a high rpm), but when I even do that its rougher than any of the higher gears, when I downshift into second gear I always know its second because its rougher than any of the higher gears also, but still not as bad as first gear....on a seperate note, its really not a good idea to downshift into high rpms to slow down coming up to a stop light or such, its just extra unneeded stress on the bike...if your downshifting to slow down coming into a corner or so you can accelerate out of the corner, I always rev match so my rear wheel doesn't get loose on me and it feel better on the clutch

Old 06-20-2006, 03:31 PM

thanks for all the help. However, I do not think I was clear or I am not understanding what others are saying (I'm a little new to motorcycles). So what I am saying is that when slowing to a stop, I hold in the clutch and downshift to first. I keep the clutch in the whole time until I stop. During this time I feel/hear the clunt of the gear shifter as I put it into first. It is a hard that shakes the bike. Thanks again for all the help. I am learning, but slowly.

Old 06-20-2006, 04:00 PM

First gear will usually produce a "clunk" when shifting into it. I find it happens more often than not and this is true on most bikes I've ridden. My neighbors Katana does the same thing so it's not a Honda thing. Sometimes the clunk is less than others, and even less, it won't do it at all. Unless it doesn't go into gear at all (try releasing the clutch then reapplying) you should have no problems.

Old 06-20-2006, 04:18 PM

"During this time I feel/hear the clunt of the gear shifter as I put it into first." - This is completely normal.

Old 06-20-2006, 05:40 PM

mine clunks goin into first from nuetral. the first to second shift is clunky unless i shift above 4000 rpm's. imo, suzuki's shift smoother but thier gearboxes aren't as durable as the honda's. my bud had a 98' superhawk. it clunked loudly going into first and the shifting was notchy. when he sold it at 36000 the bike was as good as new

Old 06-20-2006, 05:59 PM

OK, thanks everyone. I already have to fix the CCT and I was affraid that this was just another problem on what is starting to be a long list. I am sure I will have more questions soon. Thanks again.

Old 06-20-2006, 06:22 PM

When you say fix the CCT, you do mean more than just replace it. Even if you replace the CCT, in another 5000 miles or so, it will have the same problem. You have to modify the CCT or replace it with a manual CCT to permanently fix the rattling.

Quick Reply: Transmission Question