F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Track days on an F4i

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Track days on an F4i

your first track day, you are going to be nervous, you are going to be nervous while standing in sign-in, your going to be nervous looking at the track, you going to be looking at every single rider there and asking yourself how much faster are they than you, you will be looking at those riders with the scuffed up leathers, and beaten bikes with awe. You are going to have to go to the bathroom right as they call you to line up on track, and a million other things before you actually get on the track.

then, you get out on the track oh so gingerly, and you start tolean into the first corner, and it all just goes away.just grin.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:35 PM

ORIGINAL: rd91si

Nice video of pir, I goto the late night drags there. How much isit to ride at atrack day?
Thanks, there are 4 different companies that put on track days at PIR with different rates but it averages ~$200 per day. You get 6 20 minute sessions.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:54 PM

I race an F4i and it's a ton of fun!

I noticed it can be down on motor when compared to the newer Middleweights. The Gixxer 600's tend to give me a run for my money on the straights....gotta get that drive coming out of the corners or forget it.

It's an easy machine to ride once it's dialed in. My first race weekend on it I picked up 8 seconds after the weekend was said and done. This is on a bike I've never ridden and still had to tweak to my liking.

Easy to slide andgenerally very responsive. I'm happy withmy F4i evenknowing it's among theolder bikes in my class.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:49 PM

thats what im talking about, thanks for sharing i cant wait to hit up the track...
anyone have to saftey wire there machines? it looks very annoying to do

Old 09-10-2008, 12:27 AM

For track days it's typically just the oil filter and oil fill that needs to be wired...maybe a coolant flush to water (or race-approved coolant) depending on the organizer.

The race bike is a much different story. Damn near everything is wired but it's not that bad to re-wire the stuff that does come off after the races.

The real pain is drilling everything that's required and hoping you got it right when you pass through tech for the first time.

Do yourself the favor and pony up the dough for safety wire pliers and a spool of wire. Having the proper tools is well worth it, IMO.

Kinda off topic, but if it's your first time on the track, I'd like to offer you some advice that will help your smoothness by far and beyond any other single thing you can do:

That advice is to use your legs for everything. Use your outside leg to grip the tank, use your upper legs to transition your body, use your legs so you don't have to ham-fist the bars.

If you do it correctly, you should have the sensation of being able to "flap" your arms mid-turn.

The single biggest mistake a rider can do is to stiff-arm the controls. It's all about the legs.

Yes, countersteering is still used but the rest truly is body position andusing yourlegs to take the pressure off the bars.

EDIT: The damned picture didn't show up...?

Old 09-10-2008, 02:52 AM

What kind of gear is required? and what do you have to do the bike to track prep it.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:35 AM

you need full gear.1 piece leathers or 2 pc zip together, guantlet gloves, and real motorcycle boots. work boots aint going to cut it. and ofcourse a helmet. most places require a back protector and now highly urge the use of chest protectors.

check with whoever is the sponsor of the trackday, as they may have slightly different bike prep rules. but basically, take your license plate off, tape your wheel weights, remove your mirrors, and tape your lights and remove the fuse to keep from melting the tape on your lens. coolant type will depend on organization and level of riding. most novice classes dont do require any change to the coolant, but as you move up you have to change out to more track friendly coolants. some places make you take off your passenger pegs. safety wiring goes the same, check, but most dont require anything in novice, although its a good idea to wire the oil filter and filler. if you dump oil on the track, somebody is going to kick your ***

Old 09-10-2008, 04:10 PM

how do you safety wire an oil filter?

Old 09-10-2008, 07:19 PM

How to safety wire

Wiring an oil filter'sin there too.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts