F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Track days on an F4i

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Track days on an F4i

that sounds great man!!
but i have never ran on a track yet ill just be trying to keep the underwear in my leathers clean
anyone read TOTAL CONTROL> is a great book, the author of the book wrote about making knee pads out of stop signs and riding in a parking lot trying to get his knee down. he said it took about 30 min but got it to rub..
what methods have you guys used to lean over and drag?????

Old 09-07-2008, 12:39 PM

I just got back from Grattan Raceway in Michigan yesterday. I say Sportbike Tracktime puts on the best days. If you have never been on a track before I'd highly recommend them.

As far as the f4i, to be honest the track will show you that it really doesn't matter what you ride, but rather how you ride it. Some recommendations for the F4i are an HRC race throttle, 1 down in front 3 up in back gearing, steering damper, good tyres (the stock dunlops are poo), aftermarket footpegs (I found my feet had trouble staying on the stock ones), and of course an aftermarket slipon will save you some weight on the right side (about 10 pounds).

After your first experience on the track you will be 1000% better rider than before you went. You will be introduced to lean angles you never thought possible. Aside from that it puts to bed much of the B.S. spouted by the guys from the street scenes. You will test you limits.

You are a track rider when
1. Lap times are more important than dragging hardware on the track
2. The street seems really boring and you'd just rather drive than ride
3. You are really really broke!

Old 09-07-2008, 01:31 PM

i live in florida panhandle(destin), and want to start some track days later december, where can i find a track near me(alabama, florida, ga)??? if anybody have tasted them, how is it???
thank's guys

Old 09-07-2008, 03:30 PM

As I already stated Sportbike Tracktime is an excellent trackday promoter, espescially for new people to the track. Their novice class is primarily a track riding class. They offer manditory class room sessions after every session, and their are a maximum of 5 riders per coach.

check them out here, they have a list of locations all over the US including Florida

http://www.sportbiketracktime.com/

Old 09-07-2008, 06:50 PM

how is the HRC throttle on the street??

Old 09-07-2008, 07:58 PM

If you're in FL, don't forget Floridatrackdays.com covering JenningsGP, Moroso Motorsports and Homestead Miami Speedway.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:35 AM

It is heavier than the stock throttle (harder to turn). Because of this I found it easier to modulate. On the downside your hand does get a bit stiff if you are riding long periods of time at the same throttle position (i.e. highway driving). Honestly I had no problem getting used to it on the street. It was a cheaper mod and in my opinion the most noticeable I've done to date. It is a bit of a hassle to install though I will warn you. Naturally they don't make a specific one for the F4i. You have to do some modifying.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:37 PM

sounds good, but no one has really shared anything about actually riding at the track
like what were you feeling before the ride and after
what did you learn?? ect
share your experience

Old 09-09-2008, 01:53 AM

Nice video of pir, I goto the late night drags there. How much isit to ride at atrack day?

Old 09-09-2008, 08:57 AM

Personally I love the chase. There is nothing for fun than getting out there and playing the "how many folks can I pass" game. The best part of this little game isn't actually passing but rather pushing hard to chase them down. If you get out with people around your same riding level or a little better than you, it is quite an intense workout.

I think some of the best feelings I've had come from the realization I'm going into a corner too hot (or what I think is too hot). There is a great feeling about entering a corner on the throttle when you think you're going too fast. The screaming at yourself to "just lean it harder, twist the throttle, the pro's do this corner way faster than this". The feeling on the way out is awesome.

A piece of advice I'll give is to STAY AWAY FROM 1000cc's. A bad rider on a literbike can really cause you some headache. They'll slow to an almost stop for the corner infront of you, then they grab a handful of throttle on the exit and you are forced behind them again. Many of them are so eratic I am leery of passing. In Grattan last weekend it took me in one session a good 3 laps to actually get by a clown on an R1. I ended up having to stuff him into turn 5 to finally get by him. The guys on literbikes tend to think they're really fast, when in actuallity the bike is fastnot the rider. Of course you have the guys that can ride them too. You won't really need to concern yourself with them. It is kind of nice if they get by you on the straight. You can catch a tow down the straight behind them (draft) until they disapear infront of you.

Quick Reply: Track days on an F4i