F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Too much air?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 08:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too much air?

So after a long time of misc. changes, additions, and checks i took my bike out today.

For some reason, as i was coming to a stop at a yield sign it died on me.
So as i started on my ride home i made sure to check it at even throttle which game me even rpm, however i could feel the bike chugging a bit.

i didn't have the second half of the air ducts attached so i was wondering if maybe it was sucking in too much?
my other thoughts are maybe i need some new gas even though it started up no problem or... i vaguely remember a small hose detached from the fuel pump and don't remember if i reattached it. I'll be checking that as soon as possible tomorrow along with putting in new fuel and injector cleaner.

but is there any reason not having the front half of the air duct would cause this problem? it has a very distinct sound that i really enjoy when they're not on.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've seen streetfighter setups where they run it like this. you shouldn't be getting too much air...especially if you're coming to a slop.

you might want to make sure your idle rpm is around 1300-1400. Adjust for this when the bike is warmed up. from my experience, if the bike is set to idle at 1k rpm like a car, then it will shutdown around 220+ F degrees. good luck.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:52 PM

alright, so i took the bike out again. pulled the tank off and got everything hoooked up properly, put in fresh fuel, and im still getting the chugging problem.

only thing mechanical i did was the cam chain tensioner. i put in a new stock tensioner. that shouldn't change anything should it?

other options? injector cleaner maybe?

Old 04-29-2012, 06:07 PM

Yea injector cleaner isn't a bad idea, how many miles are on the bike? Do your plugs need changing? Does it smell rich or anything when it's running? I'm sure it's not the new cctl you put on.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:05 PM

its got about 24k on it. only about 2k from me. i dont know if its smelling rich since i dont actually know what rich smells like. but it does smell different than it used to.

what other issues would i have if its the plugs? its starts up no problem, and revs fine when im giving it a good bit of throttle. usually more than 6k rpm. but when im just cruising below that it bogs down

Old 04-29-2012, 08:22 PM

Well I've read guys on here say it just doesn't feel like it's got as much power when the plugs are worn out. Mine are due on my bike at 19.5k, I plan on doing them at 20k and checking my valves. The recommended interval is 16k miles, so if they haven't been done then they are due. I'd try the injector cleaner and go ahead and order the plugs.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:52 PM

New symptom!
I went out for a ride and ended up out at night. I noticed when i was braking that the headlights dimmed. It started chugging and bucking slightly. Could my problems be electrical? R/R maybe? I don't have a troubleshooting diagram or know the voltages needed between the charging system so may end up taking it in.

Any ideas? Id rather fix it myself and learn what's going on than have a shop do it for me but Im kind of stuck.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would double check the connection to your battery and the Ignition Pulse Generator (wire coming out of the clutch cover).