F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Tire traction

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 05:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, one might think this was a braking thread on a harley forum due to all the bad advice.

brake mostly with front, and practice using it HARD for when you need to use it. use the rear brake for slow speed/low traction situations. kuroshio's advice is spot on.

engines are expensive, brakes are cheap. think about it. engine braking has its place but NOT as your primary method of shedding speed.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first off shinkos suck big *****! now when you approach a turn before you turn the bike you should have all your braking done. the only reason to brake in a turn is trail braking and thats usually used for the track. so get rid of the crappy shinko and get something else and finish your braking before you turn
Originally Posted by HIGHOCTANE
Shinko Tires

I have this tire on the rear and it's decently new. The guy that had the bike before me put i on before he sold it so i'd say the tire prob has around 2,000 miles on it. When coming into a corner in the twisties if i downshift or brake too hard i can feel the tire slide. Which is kind of scary because it makes me feel like if i hit a corner hard it's gonna slid right out from under me. Is this something normal or is it something i'm doing wrong? Maybe just a crappy tire? Should i be worried about it just coming out from under me cornering or should it hold in a corner. I've nailed it pretty hard in 1st and 2nd gear in a straight and never had it light up on me.

TIA for any input!

Old 08-11-2011, 05:17 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

White towel thrown in...as I have explain, my res

Originally Posted by stingray
wow, one might think this was a braking thread on a harley forum due to all the bad advice.

brake mostly with front, and practice using it HARD for when you need to use it. use the rear brake for slow speed/low traction situations. kuroshio's advice is spot on.

engines are expensive, brakes are cheap. think about it. engine braking has its place but NOT as your primary method of shedding speed.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by estate4life
Mr. JeffJones...the issue is NOT about WHAT has more/stronger stopping power. It is his Rear tire sliding before he even started the lean from the outside corner...stomping on the rear brake to hard instead of tapping softly..... is NOT a high speed bro...you can do 90mph with 3rd gear 7-8rpm.....just letting go the throttle will bring you down to 60mph with seconds...and if 25mph corner....you DON'T need to slam on the front brake.....tap the rear brake softly and downshift will bring you down to 30-35mph....then outside line in, inside line corner excel out of corners...being in the correct gear for the corner is as important as having the correct speed....the correct speed is the speed rider is comfortable with. 90mph is cruising speed f Don't always put yourself into Race or Die competition mode....
  1. 90 mph is cruising speed... In Germany. Not in the US
  2. Trying to transition from 90 mph to a 25 mph turn isn't cruising. It IS racing
  3. Downshifting like that will make for the loudest, sloppiest turn possible with more potential "Gotcha!"s than simply braking to set entry speed.
  4. Given that he's almost certainly locking the rear during his downshift, he does not have the skill required to do this. AKA, he's riding unsafe

Imo, you are right on the line of giving unsafe riding advice. Saying that it's ok for someone to do something when they've clearly demonstrated they do not have the skills necessary to do it safely, don't have the appropriate environment and are possibly endangering others when they make the attempt.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:26 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My respond was posted same time with Kuro...therefore sounds like I debated...when in fact my post has nothing to do with what being primary braking...most street riding..how many times you actually needed to slam on the front brake, unless an abrupt stopping power is needed... My argument is the correct gear for the corner and the vanishing point will determine speed...I only said this is personal preference...and admitted to change ratio to rely on F/R braking Vs engine...I grown up riding in Tokyo & shifting gears up/down is so so important Vs. Anything else....white towel thrown...I am worthy!!! +1 brake pad cheap, engine $$$$ costly.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok I'm going to close this one down now. The chances that it's the OP's tires are pretty small. Even Shinkos, can handle proper braking under the circumstances described so long as they're in good condition.

If the OP has any further questions, he can open a discussion in the Riding Skills section as this isn't a situation that's F4i specific. And is very Riding Skills specific