CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Tire traction (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/tire-traction-129464/)

HIGHOCTANE 08-10-2011 03:01 PM

Tire traction

Shinko Tires

I have this tire on the rear and it's decently new. The guy that had the bike before me put i on before he sold it so i'd say the tire prob has around 2,000 miles on it. When coming into a corner in the twisties if i downshift or brake too hard i can feel the tire slide. Which is kind of scary because it makes me feel like if i hit a corner hard it's gonna slid right out from under me. Is this something normal or is it something i'm doing wrong? Maybe just a crappy tire? Should i be worried about it just coming out from under me cornering or should it hold in a corner. I've nailed it pretty hard in 1st and 2nd gear in a straight and never had it light up on me.

TIA for any input!

Honda125 358 08-10-2011 03:07 PM

Its possible that the rear brake would make it slide, I try limiting my rear brake use as much as possible. I've only had it slide on my once in an emergency. It should NOT slip because of downshifting...Unless your going reeeeeal fast and double down shifting but you'd know if you were doing that. From my experience, shinko isn't a great brand. the PO had shinko on my bike and there was no better feeling for me than having that tire taken off and replaced with a set of dunlops.

HIGHOCTANE 08-10-2011 03:13 PM

Am i possibly feeling something else thats making me think it's the tire sliding?

Kevwa451 08-10-2011 03:13 PM

I've had my dunlops do that to me but I shifted down into first at probably 45 mph and I don't think I revved matched perfectly. Kinda felt like a MotoGP racer with the way the ass end kicked out. And yeah the rear brake will lock it up kind of easily if you apply too much pressure. I've done that in an emergency as well.

Kuroshio 08-10-2011 03:54 PM

I'm a bit lost. When are you downshifting / braking? Prior to the turn or already in the turn?

If you're doing this while in the turn, yes you're asking for the rear to slide out. If you're attempting to trailbrake, you should be coming off the brakes and not applying more negative acceleration as you travel deeper into the turn.

The tire itself is immaterial. I had 005s on my F3 and never had any issue with them. In good condition, the tire will stick up to it's limits and it's your responsibility as the rider to know where they are. The Shinko 005 isn't the Michelin Power One. Best I can figure is the 005 is for the daily commuter with some very easy twisties. If you're trying your hand at trailbraking, you may be exceeding the situations the tire was designed for.

Or to put it another way:
I wouldn't be trailbraking anywhere except a track.
And I wouldn't take Shinko 005s to a serious track day

Munson 08-10-2011 04:09 PM

Kuro's right - do your braking and downshifting before you lean into the turn. On a sportbike it's easy to lock up the rear tire by braking or engine braking, since you have such a short wheelbase and high center-of-gravity and the bike's weight quickly transfers to the front tire under deceleration, leaving much less traction on the rear. That's why you want a steady maintenance throttle through the turn, to keeep your weight evenly distributed and your suspension settled.

raylee 08-10-2011 04:37 PM

Check your rear suspension settings. I'd say you need to tweak your rebound or preload settings a bit. And maintenance throttle is better used only for corner entry (or that stage of taking a corner), but you want to be rolling on as you progress through the corner in order to keep the weight shifted more to the rear.

estate4life 08-10-2011 05:17 PM

+1 Dunlop Q2.....

Originally Posted by Honda125 358 (Post 1088791)
Its possible that the rear brake would make it slide, I try limiting my rear brake use as much as possible. I've only had it slide on my once in an emergency. It should NOT slip because of downshifting...Unless your going reeeeeal fast and double down shifting but you'd know if you were doing that. From my experience, shinko isn't a great brand. the PO had shinko on my bike and there was no better feeling for me than having that tire taken off and replaced with a set of dunlops.

kazspeed 08-10-2011 06:08 PM

Unless there is sign of tire wear its probably a rider caused issue.

HIGHOCTANE 08-11-2011 08:53 AM

This is happening before i enter the corner. It's when i brake or downshift to set up for it. I guess it's something normal i just wanted to make sure i didn't have a crappy tire that i wasn't supposed to be cornering with. I'm in need of a new front and i'll probably replace the rear with it, what do you guys recommend for a daily commuter/ hard cornering in the mountains?