F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Tire pressure AND suspension settings

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 03:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire pressure AND suspension settings

Hey, i'm runnin my f4i with the stock dunlop tires at the recommended pressure by the Honda manual and stock suspension settings. What tire pressures and suspension settings should i have for better handling and more traction in the twisties? I read the "tire pressure" thread, but could not get the answer i was looking for in regards to tire/suspension settings for someone of my weight (160-170lbs). Lemme know if you need addition info to suggest what pressure and suspension i should be running at for optimal handling.

Old 09-12-2006, 05:03 AM
Default RE: Tire pressure AND suspension settings

deflate ur tires to 36/38 if you commute or 32/34 if u ride twisties

Old 09-12-2006, 11:30 AM

your suspension should be set between 30 and 35 mm when you do the static sag formula... here is the link to sport rider on how to do it....

sport rider suspension set up

Old 09-12-2006, 12:38 PM

Furthermore, suspension settings are a VERY individualized thing. It's easy to find articles on HOW to do it, but it requires your input to dial it in.

You could take two AMA Supersport bikes ridden by two riders of the same weight and have two TOTALLY different suspension setups. It's all about what you like.

As for tire pressures. I run Pilot Powers and get the best feel with 36/36 street.

IGNORE the tire pressures posted on the chainguard and in the manual. They are ONLY for when you are carrying maximum weight and don't take into account performance riding or different tire types.

Old 09-12-2006, 02:54 PM

Ya that's what I read about the tire pressures in the other post too, it's the suspension I'm kind of confused about. I should probably buy the suspension tools though cuz Honda decided to cheap out and not provide any tools for the '06s. It seems like when i'm in a turn and I hit a bump I feel it quite a bit, so I'm guessing I may need to soften my suspension, but I'd have to do some reading cuz I don't know much about this compression, rebounding, damping nonsense :P

Old 09-12-2006, 03:19 PM

Ok just found the recommended settings on sportrider.com for the '06 F4i:

CBR600F4i ('06) 3 lines showing (front preload) 0.5 turn out from full stiff (front rebound damping) 0.5 turn out from full stiff (front comp. damping) position 3 (rear preload) 0.5 turn out from full stiff (rear rebound damping) 0.5 turn out from full stiff (rear comp damping)

note: Ride height: 6mm fork tube showing above clip-ons

Can anyone confirm these to be good settings to try?

Old 09-12-2006, 03:28 PM

Here is what I have been using:

Front Preload: 3 lines showing
Front Rebound: 1.50 turns out
Front Compression: 1.25 turns out
Rear Preload: position 6
Rear Rebound: 1 turn out
Rear Compression: 1.5 turns out

Fork Tubes at stock height.

If you decide you want better turn in, shim the shock mount 5mm (washers between the mount and the frame). That will give you the angle you want without losing ground clearance.

I am 185 lbs w/o gear.

Old 09-12-2006, 03:29 PM

I would start there but i would set up the static sag for your body weight to tune your suspension even further. Once you have it there, tune it to your individual preference like blackdog mentioned...

I rode mine with the stock settings for about a year (before i learned how to set the sag) and once i finally set the correct sag, the bike felt 200% better in the twisties...

Old 09-12-2006, 03:33 PM

I'm currently reading up on how to measure sag. Should it be the same up front as it is in the rear? Also, are all three measurements they describe with the rider on the bike? I don't see how you would get the bike off the ground to see how far the suspension extends...or maybe i'm misreading something.

Old 09-12-2006, 03:34 PM

+1 on setting Sag for your weight.

Quick Reply: Tire pressure AND suspension settings