F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Tire pressure??

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tire pressure??

I think I run either 38front 40back or 40front 42back, but I'm fat and need more pressure in the tire especially when riding 2up. Plus at that higher pressure I get better gas milage.

Mike

Old 05-11-2008, 06:31 PM

I can appreciate that. I've had three hockey injuries in a row and have gained 25lbs, so a little extra pressure never hurts.
As far as I'm concerned you are all right.

As far as asphalt... I'm a highway star, but it's been the rain grooves in the concrete that's thrown me off(not literally)and where the slippage first took place. So all week I played with the pressures.

First time i adjust the pressures and both tires float on the rain groove. The pressure is high. Not fun.
And I've been lowering it all week, where I'm at 34 -37

As I mentioned I spoke with this veteran rider and claims the higher the pressure the more it'll go in the grooves and follow it as it is hard. The softer will tend to go over it, but will wear the tire faster. He went on to tell me other factors, but that's the gist of it.

I went out on the canyons yesterday, but the confidence just isn't there so I've been taking these baby step.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:35 PM

I can appreciate that. I've had three hockey injuries in a row and have gained 25lbs, so a little extra pressure never hurts.

As far as asphalt... I'm a highway star, but it's been the rain grooves in the concrete that's thrown me off(not literally)and where the slippage first took place. So all week I played with the pressures.

First time i adjust the pressures and both tires float on the rain groove. The pressure is high. Not fun.

As I mentioned I spoke with this veteran rider and claims the higher the pressure the more it'll go in the grooves and follow it as it is hard. The softer will tend to go over it, but will wear the tire faster. He went on to tell me other factors, but that's the gist of it.

I went out on the canyons yesterday, but the confidence just isn't there so I've been taking these baby step.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:37 PM

ORIGINAL: HockeyFan

First time, i adjusted the pressures and both tires float on the rain groove. The pressure is high. Not fun.

As I mentioned I spoke with this veteran rider and claims the higher the pressure the more it'll go in the grooves, and follow it, as it is hard. The softer will tend to go over it, but will wear the tire faster. He went on to tell me other factors, but that's the gist of it.

I went out on the canyons yesterday, but the confidence just isn't there so I've been taking these baby steps.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:54 PM

Weight should only matter on 2up air pressure..

Have the suspension setup correctly and the rest will fall into place..IM not "fat" but im 255 before gear. Before suspension my bike always didnt feel 100%..After suspension it feels great ..I run 36 on the front and 34 on the rear (cold ) on average..Tires wear perfect and ive gotten 7k out of the stock dunlop 207's and a 5k so far (with a good bit of tread left)out of my qualifiers running those pressures.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:24 PM

I hear ya. You got 30lbs on me, but those setting/pressures are fairly close to mine. So, i'm probably in the right ball park.

I have 4100 miles on the bike and got it with 2200miles with Bridgestone pilots, which no one has heard of, but i'm assuming they are the originals with the bike.

The suspension settings are stock. Did you adjust your shock any, considering the weight?

Old 05-11-2008, 08:27 PM

Ive adjusted the sag,shocks settings and change the springs to match my weight.Just changing the shock settings is not gonna make that big of a difference.Its getting proper sag that is the key..

Night and day difference in the ride..

Old 05-11-2008, 09:08 PM

hmmm, interesting...what do you mean by sagging?

You converted everything...was that because of your weight or did you just want to get more out of your ride?

Old 05-11-2008, 10:30 PM

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh I get it now. I was a little confused at first. I do not think that what you're feeling is the tire slipping, I think you're just feeling it following the grooves. It's like when I ride over those bridges that go up and down and up and down so boats can float underneath them or whatever they do and the bridge surface is a sort of grate, the bike just feels weird because sometimes it skips over and doesn't want to go in a straight line. It's perfectly normal I just wouldn't full throttle while going around a corner in 1st on that pavement. Maybe I'm wrong but that's what I think is happening to you.

Sag, simply put, is how much the bike squishes down when the rider sits on it. There are some really good messages on this forum about how to set up your sag and such if you just search for them. I would do it for you but, well, I'm just lazy and fat.

Here's the just of it though

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0006_sag/index.html

Mike

Old 05-11-2008, 10:59 PM

ORIGINAL: snowboarding82

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh I get it now. I was a little confused at first. I do not think that what you're feeling is the tire slipping, I think you're just feeling it following the grooves. It's like when I ride over those bridges that go up and down and up and down so boats can float underneath them or whatever they do and the bridge surface is a sort of grate, the bike just feels weird because sometimes it skips over and doesn't want to go in a straight line. It's perfectly normal I just wouldn't full throttle while going around a corner in 1st on that pavement. Maybe I'm wrong but that's what I think is happening to you.

Sag, simply put, is how much the bike squishes down when the rider sits on it. There are some really good messages on this forum about how to set up your sag and such if you just search for them. I would do it for you but, well, I'm just lazy and fat.

Here's the just of it though

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0006_sag/index.html

Mike
Exactly!!!! Thank you.

The thing is that earlier the day I was pushing it...and all was good, if you know what i mean. Then later that day, it would slip...continually.
However, my Vet friend said that those rain grooves sometimes are deeper/wider, so...

Thanksfor the info on the sag...I'll check that stuff out. It couldn't hurt.

You're not fat and lazy ...My acting coach said one time...he's looking at a student...boxer with six packs abs...then looks at me...with a bit of gut. And he says..."that's discipline" One has the discipline to do sit ups/core work...the other drinks every weekend. Both are disciplined.