F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Tire pressure??

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 06:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire pressure??

The other my friend and I rode down to San Diego from the L.A. area.

All is well until we headed back. Just before our last stop, Carlsbad, i noticed a bit of slip. Didn't really pay attention to it too much.

It's 7:00 and we had been riding since 10:00am ...i think at that point we were well over 200 miles, but still needed to get back. Both of us were tired, hence, a Starbucks stop.

I got on the freeway and my tire slips, on the grated concrete, slips again. We pull over in the gas station we look over all possible scenarios, lack air, too much, hole, play in the axle. However, after riding for that long, the tire pressure was at 40lb which is kind of low considering the tires were hot. So, we put in another 4lbs...rode it home at about 65-70mph with keeping the bike as vertical so as to slip.

Early part of the day is perfect, no wind, 70 degrees and i finally got it over 100mph which as i mind set couldn't do. I don't need any lectures, please. So all is well and i'm super confident.

A coupe days go by and i check out my tire pressure...29 in front and 34 in rear. So, i bring it up 34-40 and take it on the freeway and the damn thing is floating, front and rear. Not cool.

I look at the manual it says 36-42. So, i put 38-44..because i'm thinking how is 2lbs going to make a difference...

Anyways, it improves, but it's hard to tell as this was the windiest day i've ever been on a bike...i was behind the screen and it was still pushing me over.

So, my question you...and i hope there are Socal boys around here...what are you running on the original tires? Bridgestone pilots?
Any other tire will be useless as it will have a different make up/compound. And specifically with that grated concrete? Asphalt it's fine.

Bythe way took it to Del Amo to the service manager...good guy and has been around forever. He claims that there is lots of meat left...at least 1 or 2k left on them. I might addthere is no ridge ... it is pretty even.

I have absolutely not confidence now.

Cheers

Old 05-07-2008, 09:59 PM
Banned
Default RE: Tire pressure??

absolutely not confidence? wow.

what brand tires are you using? also how is the wear pattern?

Old 05-07-2008, 11:07 PM

Bridgestone pilots.

The pattern is even...there is no ridge. Plenty of meat before the wear bars come in effect.

I had a lengthy talk with a vet rider that kind of put some logic into it, which was good. However, it'll be baby steps until it "feels" right.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Asa general rule, OEM tires suck. Lower pressures give you more footprint.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:45 PM

what are bridgestone pilots?

Mich. pilot sports i suppose?

IIRC the f4i only came with either dunops or mich or oem tires.

either way, whatever pressure you use just dont go over the pressure listed as "MAX" on the sidewall of the tire.

Personally I run 30/30 on my tires and I still get about 5-6k out of my rear tires with some agressive riding thrown in. As of late though all of my new tires start out at the track and then I run my own take offs in the street.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:24 PM

You added 4psi to a hot 40psi tire...Doesnt sound right..

I would start with 34~36 COLD on the FRONT and 34~36 on the rear ,adjust only when cold and go from there.

Stock dunlops i ran the stock pressures 36-42 ,bike felt ok..With my qualifiers i run 36f/34 r and it sticks great.. 5k so far out of them with lots of tread left.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:46 AM

Hmmm. Thanks guys...I would never think to go that low. Over the past week I've been experimenting with the tire pressures and I'm be decreasing the pressure as the week went on or depending where I was riding...canyons vs. Freeways.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:48 AM

ORIGINAL: traitorhound

what are bridgestone pilots?

Mich. pilot sports i suppose?

IIRC the f4i only came with either dunops or mich or oem tires.

either way, whatever pressure you use just dont go over the pressure listed as "MAX" on the sidewall of the tire.

Personally I run 30/30 on my tires and I still get about 5-6k out of my rear tires with some agressive riding thrown in. As of late though all of my new tires start out at the track and then I run my own take offs in the street.
It's the factory set...yes, Bridgestone Pilots.

What does IIRC stand for?
Thanks

Old 05-11-2008, 12:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IIRC= If I recall corrrectly. Internet jargon

When I had Dunlops, they worked pretty well with stock pressures IIRC.

Old 05-11-2008, 03:24 PM

Gotcha. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Tire pressure??