F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Tips on installing a new clutch

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips on installing a new clutch

One question i have, about when are the clutches in a 600 f4i supposed to go out? And two, any tips out there to help with this process would definately help!

Old 01-12-2008, 08:39 PM
Default RE: Tips on installing a new clutch

If you drive your bike nice and don't pop your clutch all the time and your not stunting your bike too much, your clutch will last you a good 15,000 miles or more.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:18 PM

....no idea with the F4i, but the clutch in my Katana is still kicking with 15,000 miles on it, no signs of wearing out....never even had to adjust the cable much. Arn't there some guys on here with super high mileage F4is and claim no major mechanical fixes.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:39 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Clutch life is 150% dependant on how you treat it. There is no set number of miles for clutches. You can burn one up in 5 minutes if you wanted to. You treat it bad and slip the clutch alot (revving alot and slipping taking off from stops, clutch wheelies, ect) then it will burn up after a short amount of mileage. You treat it right it'll probably last longer than you'll have the bike.

FWIW.... my bike has 115,696 miles on it, and still on the original clutch, which does not slip at all. In fact I just had the entire clutch out today (frictions, steels, clutch basket inner and outer), and the clutch is still in pretty damn good shape! I measured the clutch friction discs and they're still within spec. So, treat it right and don't slip it, and it'll last you a long long long time

I'm gonna post a how-to for the shift star I did today. I did a full picture documentary of the entire job, which includes clutch removal and installation, so that might help ya out a little if you plan on doing this job soon. Probably the next day or two I'll have it up

Old 01-13-2008, 06:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: thirdgenlxi

I'm gonna post a how-to for the shift star I did today. I did a full picture documentary of the entire job, which includes clutch removal and installation, so that might help ya out a little if you plan on doing this job soon. Probably the next day or two I'll have it up

you da man Jared! haha. i am gonna be replacing my clutch soon too (21k miles on the bike). i did the clutch in my quad 2 or 3 times and it was a sinch! hoping the bike is going to be basically the same.......removing cover, removing bolts/springs, removing plates/steel and soaking new ones in oil and repeat the process in reverse!

Old 01-13-2008, 07:54 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: jaynd

ORIGINAL: thirdgenlxi

you da man Jared! haha. i am gonna be replacing my clutch soon too (21k miles on the bike). i did the clutch in my quad 2 or 3 times and it was a sinch! hoping the bike is going to be basically the same.......removing cover, removing bolts/springs, removing plates/steel and soaking new ones in oil and repeat the process in reverse!
Yea it should be pretty much the same as in your quads. Not sure if the quads were exactlythe same, but there's just a few little things you gotta pay close attention to, like the friction spring in the very back of the clutch basket (has to be installed in the right direction), and the clutch center lock washer (same thing... gotta be installed in the right direction), and then when installing the friction and steel plates, the last friction disc you put in goes in the shallow slots of the clutch basket, instead of the deep slots like all the rest of the friction discs do. Just a few little things you gotta pay attention to. I have them all noted in the pics though. The rest is pretty straight forward