F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Tightening chain

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 01:18 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tightening chain

Hey,

I am going to be tightening my chain for the first time myself and was wondering the manual says to do it on the side stand and when the dealership does it they do it on the stand?
Does it matter if it is up the side stand or I just raise the rear wheel? Any pros or cons?

Thanks,

Old 06-21-2011, 01:45 PM
July 2008 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doing it on a rear wheel stand makes it a lot easier, but it isn't necessary. Just don't loosen things enough for it to fall off if you're just doing it while standing on the kick stand. Should be fine.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:54 PM

side stand PROS: it's already attached to the bike, and you don't need to buy a track stand. CONS: you have to either lift the rear wheel off the ground or move the bike around to check for lose/tight spots on the chain.
Track stand PROS: makes all chain maintenance easier not to mention lots of other uses. CONS:only one I can think of is the initial cost.

it would definitely be easier if you have a track stand and can get the rear tire completely off the ground. Just make sure you keep the wheel square to the swingarm.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:03 PM

Perfect I have a track stand so I'll just use that, I just wasn't sure because the manual said use the side stand.

Thanks,

Old 06-21-2011, 02:06 PM

track stands are nice! I've been considering getting a set or at least a rear one...but I already have access to a set via a good friend. they make cleaning and lubing a lot easier. I understand you asking your question none-the-less.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:44 PM

Side stand and 2x4 is easier than a rear stand IMHO. Tip the bike, wedge the 2x4 under the swingarm on the opposite side of the kick stand, do your work, kick the 2x4 out and set the bike back down.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stands are a must for bike maintenance/cleaning. It's the best way to evenly apply the lube when idling in 1st gear. Just use common sense and dont get your fingers close to moving sprockets or you'll be sorry.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by F34Me?
Side stand and 2x4 is easier than a rear stand IMHO. Tip the bike, wedge the 2x4 under the swingarm on the opposite side of the kick stand, do your work, kick the 2x4 out and set the bike back down.
That sounds like a lot more work and and harder (and sketchier) then just putting a rear stand under the swing arm and pushing down????

Old 06-21-2011, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Sick97SS
The stands are a must for bike maintenance/cleaning. It's the best way to evenly apply the lube when idling in 1st gear. Just use common sense and dont get your fingers close to moving sprockets or you'll be sorry.
Thats how I put my lube on too. and I just saw that thread with the link to the gixxer forum where the guy got his fingers caught in the sprocket while i was in 1st.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:57 PM

I have done both over the years and without swingarm spools (only one of my bikes had them) the padded race stand can be a bit of pain to get it up and balanced properly. Adjustment of the stand and position and such. With the 2x4 you just tip the bike and whack it under. Takes less time and work better. True the bike is on a tilt, but so what? I honestly do believe (with the F4i and any other bike that needs to be modified for swingarm spool fitment) it is easier. But like I said, that is just my opinion/experince. I am also 6'1" and 170 LB so I can toss the bike around pretty easily!

Quick Reply: Tightening chain