F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Thoughts from my first track day

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 10:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its got steel braided lines. they just have a red jacketing.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:50 AM

They are indeed steel braided lines and EBC HH pads, forgot to add that. And the left switch assembly is actually the kill switch pod from the right side with the throttle half of it hacksawed off. It looks like someone did it because the pod wouldn't fit anymore with the aftermarket throttle housing. Everything is safety wired as it spent the last two years competing in WERA races. It lowsided at Road Atlanta but was checked out by GMD and certified straight. The frame slider, case cover, handlebar and footpeg took the abuse. The frame slider and case cover got some rash and the rearset and handlebar broke in half. One replacement rearset and one replacement handlebar was all it needed to get back on the track.

Last edited by dave ls1; 11-12-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:59 AM

Dave, i looked into making my '01 F4i have a 1/4 turn throttle. Then i discovered it already had one. To my knowledge it was OEM.

?

Old 11-12-2010, 12:01 PM

That's just what the prev owner told me. It is a different throttle housing and seems to require less turn than my 2005, but I have only taken it down the street through 3 gears so far.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:45 PM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

He must be referring to the 1/6 turn throttle... 1/4 is stock. It's an HRC kit... lol or egay

Last edited by __Z__; 11-12-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:28 PM

could be something off ebay, i dunno, never seen anything but the stock one before. but it looks and feels real solid, so if it's some knockoff crap, it was worth it!

Old 01-04-2011, 02:50 PM

So I've been working on this track bike on and off since the last track day of the year got canceled (next one is in Feb).

I replaced the used race-ready Dunlop GP-A 211s (120/70,190/50) with new street/track Dunlop Sportmax Q2s (120/70,180/55) more appropriate for someone like me who won't get as much heat in the tires as a more advanced rider would.

I had a helper give a hand setting sag and rebound for my weight as well as lowered the rear shock a few mm - it was extremely high in the rear for that quick tip-in effect.

While reinstalling the front axle I broke a pinch bolt off in the fork leg before it got to factory recommended 16lb-ft. I had the bolt removed without damaging the threads and bought new OEM bolts. Here's what one of the other 3 bolts looked like after close inspection - notice how stretched and tapered the thread area is!

I adjusted some of the hand controls to fit me better, but I think I'm going to try the eBay shorties on for size soon.

Bought some new OEM fairing bolts to replace the hardware store phonies mixed in.

Installed a kickstand, at least until I can have spool lugs welded on. I watched two people drop their bikes trying to get them on rear stands after 20 minutes of track riding. It wasn't pretty and I really don't want to imitate it.

I tried to sand and polish the worst of the two clear windscreens but I was not markedly successful. The result was acceptable but far from pretty. I'll be buying a new double bubble screen sooner than later.

I built a mount for the gauge cluster since I bought it zip-tied to some blue foam. I wanted it to be strong enough to fully support whatever a normal track day can throw at it and to protect the signal cable in the case of an accident. It's mostly 1/8" steel round bar, because that's what I had handy. I already see how I want to do it differently but it will work until it doesn't.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:43 AM

Nice! Glad you had fun! Track days are a blast but unfortunately I've gone back to 100% car track days to be with my friends.

However, I agree with you on many of your assessments on the bike. I'm 6'1 and 215lbs, with gear probably 225 on track and my suspension was WAY too soft. The bike nose-dived like crazy when you were braking hard despite also putting the fluid over the level to help stiffin it up. I too had the peg problem. At first it was because my body positioning sucked but even when I got faster at Jennings it started scrapping again so I took the feelers off and never had that problem again. The stock rearsets are just lower than most 600 cc bikes.

Surprisingly, I found the F4i to be better than I would have thought on track despite its disadvantages. On stock crap suspension, Power Pure's, front brake lines and EBC HH pads, and a 225lbs rider I had it done to 130's at Jennings on my 3rd day there. I'm sure it could have gone faster. Had I had a set of Ohlins, tire warmers, power mods, etc. and dropped a few lbs it could go faster.

Track days on a bike are MUCH harder than in a car that's for damn sure. I too noticed the "I dragged a knee crap" from a lot of people who weren't even going fast. Now my body positioning still needed work but I laughed at the guys bragging about dragging a knee and I'd be behind them hardly leaning off my bike.

Here were a couple pics from my last day at Jennings. Talking about form see how it was better to my left than my right?

Name:  SBP_9570.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  83.7 KB
Name:  SBP_9970.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  101.1 KB
Name:  SBP_9915.jpg
Size:  101.8 KB
Name:  SBP_9766.jpg
Size:  79.0 KB

Here's an old video from my second track day ever when my body positioning sucked.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShUJnof_JFM

And another Jennings.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMb7eEsC4Mw

Last edited by JeremyGSU; 01-18-2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:39 PM
July 2008 ROTM

I have a couple friends going down to Jennings in March. I was asked to come but I have two big vacations in 2011 and just can't spare the cash.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:00 PM

Quick Reply: Thoughts from my first track day