F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

thoughts on muffler problem...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 01:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thoughts on muffler problem...

just wondering.... has anyone ever rode there bike with no mid-pipe or can for any amount of time? reason im asking is because my muffler is getting worse and worse. i need to get a new one soon but money is tight. i posted a while back that i have a huge hole in my can and my mid-pipe is leaking really bad. i have taped it up but the tape either falls off or just dont help in any way. so i was thinking, it would just be better to take the mid-pipe and can off till i get a new one, to avoid all the everyday hassle i have to put up with from the muffler. now i know the bike will be super loud and anoying to everyone, but im sick and tired of "ghetto riggin" it. im trying to improvise here till i can afford a new setup. thoughts on this???

Old 06-05-2006, 01:47 AM
Default RE: thoughts on muffler problem...

I have my stock exhaust off my 2001 that I could sell you. **** if your low on money then go back to basics.

Old 06-05-2006, 04:02 PM

I don't think the bike would run all that well without the back pressure provided by the mid-pipe and canister. Not to mention the noise (as you noted) would be unbearable and possibly illegal depending on where you live.

One thing you could do (like Kevin said) is find someone with a stock pipe that they will dump for a low price. Most of us have them laying around! Or instead of using tape to patch it up, get some HVAC sheet metal (very easy to work with) and some good ol' JB Weld to hold it together in the meantime.

Dunno what else to tell ya man... sorry about your luck.

Old 06-05-2006, 05:04 PM

not tring to steal the tread just wondering what is reasonable for a stock pipe and canister

Old 06-05-2006, 05:09 PM

not tring to steal the tread just wondering what is reasonable for a stock pipe and canister
Good question. I guess I've never checked... eBay would probably be the best source. I think most riders would probably get rid of their's for the price of a good pair of gloves!!

Anyone else?

Old 06-06-2006, 01:17 AM

under 50 bucks--- used.

Old 06-06-2006, 01:34 AM

well i used this 3M rubber tape. i dont know the correct name. it has hig temp usage, very thick and stretches well. so far so good...

Old 06-06-2006, 04:10 PM

I have seen that 3M tape in catalogs. Not a bad idea to try that out.

And if that doesn't work, use some JB Weld like I told you the other day. We actually used that stuff (along with some sheet metal) to patch up the bottom of my buddy's aluminum boat. We didn't sink to the bottom of Cass Lake so I guess that's all that matters!!

Old 06-06-2006, 04:18 PM

I ran without mid or can in my garage for like 5 min's just too see this last winter. It ran like ****, couldn't rev fast, stumbled all over itself, and was loud as hell. Not a way to run these bikes. They need the back pressure bad...

Old 06-06-2006, 04:19 PM

Lots of dealerships/bike shops just have them laying around after people upgrade their exhausts. I had one offer me a stock can for free (just come get it) because that way they don't have to dispose of it.

If not free, they have to be cheap.

Quick Reply: thoughts on muffler problem...