F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Theft Protection?

Old 02-09-2007, 11:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Theft Protection?

I own a 2001 F4i. I was just wondering what kind of theft protection, if any, you guys use for your bikes and where you get it from?

Old 02-09-2007, 12:01 PM
Default RE: Theft Protection?

Kryptonite 'Forgetaboutit' on the rear wheel locked to a concrete post, and Kryptonite Disc lock on the front. And I have 'Lojack' for the bike. I am in the DC Metro area and an a little paranoid about loosing my new baby.

Old 02-09-2007, 12:04 PM

HEY WHATS UP! U SHOULD LOOK INTO A WHEEL LOCK. THERE IS ONE THAT IS CURRENTLY OUT THAT I SAW IN A MAGAZINE THAT HAS A HIGH PITCH SIREN THAT GOES OFF IF U MOVE THE BIKE.LOOK IN THIS MONTHS BIKE MAGAZINES I'M NOT SURE WHICH ONE IT WAS IN I THINK IT WAS AT A $100 DOLLARS.

Old 02-09-2007, 12:12 PM
Banned

The best deterrent is one that;

A) Keeps your bike in plain sightof everyone else

B) Requires the bike to be lifted straight up to be stolen - this is why parking in super visable areas is a must, people will pull up to your bike and 3-4 of them get out, and lift it straight into the back of a truck in less than 20 seconds. That looks a little suspicious and anyone around will probably be curious and get some ID information.

Seriously, none of those chains will keep a theif out. A lock only locks out an honest man. Combine the two for maximum security.

Lo-jacks are nice, but only work if they can send a signal (dropped call, anyone?).

Don't go buying disc locks and chains and then attach your bike to some pole in the back corner of a dark parking lot. I park my bike RIGHT on the store sidewalk with the steering lock on.

Just be cautious and observant of where you park your bike. That's more important than any theft-deterrant.

Old 02-09-2007, 12:39 PM

My bike was stollen in the D.C. Metro area. Trust me if they really want it they are going to take it. There isnt any thhing a thief cant do if they really want it. Lojack would be the best way to go in my opinoin. as for the siren alarm be ready to get up every 5-15 mins to disengage it from going off because a bug touched it or the wind is to hard, and for my favorite the neighboorhod beat box that sets off everyone alarm with their music or their pipe.

I lucklily got mine back a couple of months later and the best way in my opinion is keep it in your house, or apt if you can.

Old 02-09-2007, 01:01 PM
BB

If the bike if fully insured, I wouldn't bother with a Lojack. With Lojack, they'll probably find the bike and it'll probablybe trashed and/or ragged on. Then you'll have to fight with the insurance company over how much they're going to give you for damage. My opinion, you don't want it back after it's been stolen.

Old 02-09-2007, 01:09 PM

ORIGINAL: KidCr3nshaw

The best deterrent is one that;

A) Keeps your bike in plain sightof everyone else

B) Requires the bike to be lifted straight up to be stolen - this is why parking in super visable areas is a must, people will pull up to your bike and 3-4 of them get out, and lift it straight into the back of a truck in less than 20 seconds. That looks a little suspicious and anyone around will probably be curious and get some ID information.

Seriously, none of those chains will keep a theif out. A lock only locks out an honest man. Combine the two for maximum security.

Lo-jacks are nice, but only work if they can send a signal (dropped call, anyone?).

Don't go buying disc locks and chains and then attach your bike to some pole in the back corner of a dark parking lot. I park my bike RIGHT on the store sidewalk with the steering lock on.

Just be cautious and observant of where you park your bike. That's more important than any theft-deterrant.
True. If they really want it, they will get it, but on mine, I give them as much trouble as possible. I have an InternNatrix alarm on my bike (for $140 it works AWESOME!!!!). Also, at night, I chain the front and rear tire or my car rims, and they would have to have a special tool to get my rims off, so no stealing the rims and they bike. +1 on keeping it in sight of people. I always park on the sidewalk at major places too, most people done mind. But I would recommend atleast geting some type of alarm for at night, if you cant bring it in.

Old 02-09-2007, 04:22 PM

My protection? Replacement value insurance combined with garage storage. We ride what is essentially a $10,000 mountain bike. You can't secure a MTB and you can't secure a motorcycle.

I have an alarm but that's mostly so that if some tool ignores the vibration warning chirps and sits on my bike in the Starbucks parking lot I can come out and yell at him

Old 02-09-2007, 05:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Parked in my dining room.