F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Suspension Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 09:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mpz
Just to clarify, by shock length you mean distance from eyelet to eyelet?
Yes. From the MIDDLE of the eyelet to the MIDDLE of the eyelet.

Originally Posted by mpz
Again, I'm eyeballing here but it seemed that looking at the subframe just above the rear axle, it did raise some. Maybe less then an inch, it was not substantial, but did occur.[
Get a tape measure dude!! Know what your changing or you will chase your tail!!

Originally Posted by mpz
Knowing that the 1" raise I spoke about was in ride height and not shock length do you still think it's dangerous?
I'm not as shocked as I was but still pull it out, call Penske, and measure it to verify. 1" in ride height axle-to-tail is still alot on some bikes.

ALSO - with all due respect to ToddMonster *DO NOT* randomly throw in a 700 lb spring because it works on his *Aprilias*. The rear is supposed to move and "squat" some...

The spring rate needed on any bike is a COMBINATION of the rider weight and the linkage that the shock is working through. See that "dogbone", rocker, and so forth connected to the swingarm...? Its MULTIPLYING the spring/damping force that's fed TO/FROM the contact patch. Some very smart Honda Engineers designed it and you must work WITH it (not against it). Use PENSKE'S recommendation for the spring rates FRONT and REAR (or Racetech's or Traxxion's - whatever. Just don't talk to multiple people about it and "combine" their recommendations). Choosing the spring rate is somewhat formulaic and will be the semi-easiest part of setting up your bike. Trust me.

One more thing while I'm "advising" if you'll permit.... I couldn't help but notice that you and ToddMonster are worrying about rear-end squat coming out of corners. Before jacking up spring rates and all that, are you carrying enough corner speed? I don't know how fast you are but if you're parking it mid-corner and then snapping the throttle open on the exit to keep-up-with-crowd/"go fast"/get-your-thrills/etc. then you are going to get squat in the rear. No amount of suspension work, no Penske or Ohlins shock, and no $$ will cure that. Pick your brake markers and then go deeper 1/2 marker at a time until you just start to break loose...then adjust the bike / line / or your riding style to go faster...then repeat...and repeat again and again and again... - VE

Last edited by VitaminE; 08-11-2009 at 10:03 PM.