F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Summer Bike Overhaul Project

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 11:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my fairing mesh backing measured, cut, and painted today.

I have to say, as big of a POS as my Dremel was, my friend's worked perfectly. I imagine it's because I got a cordless model, and it just can't maintain enough power to do much of anything. The corded version my friend has is awesome.

However, I ran out of cutting wheels, so I had to finish part of my mesh coverings with wire snips. I got a pretty thick gauge, so that wasn't much fun.

I did get a chance to see the red paint on something, though, and it's great. I love the color. This is going to go on my headers for sure (although I have a satin clear for those) my sprocket and probably my brake calipers and rearsets. I think I might paint the pegs black or white, though.

I switched out all the plastic on the floor to try and cut down of air contaminants when I paint. I'm hoping to get the sprocket and headers painted tomorrow, but I have a bunch of class reading to do also.

A couple of pics.

Attached Thumbnails Summer Bike Overhaul Project-imag0206.jpg   Summer Bike Overhaul Project-imag0207.jpg  
Old 06-01-2011, 12:47 PM

Yesterday I painted my sprocket and headers.

Headers look great, except for where the header bolt pieces that slide are, because it's really, really tough to try and paint parts that slide back and forth. It's way up by the engine, though, so I'll blast it again in a week and call it good.

The sprocket ran a bit (probably should have primed it) and I missed a spot where I was using the string to hold the sprocket up. I blasted that, and the paint ran. I figured after 5-6 hours the surrounding paint would be good, but when I wiped off the excess I wiped off some of the first coat, then when I repainted it ran a little again. It doesn't look too bad, and it'll come out with some light sanding, but it's a bit aggravating.

Today I'm painting the subframe and, if I can do that without making the paint run, maybe the tank and the wheels. I still haven't gotten to the brakes, but those will probably be up next since I think I primed everything else less than a week ago.

My money also came, so I ordered my new rear tire, HID kit, brake lines, stomp grip, undertail, and mirrors. I'm still trying to figure out what levers I want - the cheapie ebay ones look good but I'm a bit scared of fading levers and I'm not sure I could paint them myself when they came. I'm toying with the idea of an LED kit ... we'll see.

Pics attached.

Attached Thumbnails Summer Bike Overhaul Project-imag0220.jpg   Summer Bike Overhaul Project-imag0218.jpg   Summer Bike Overhaul Project-imag0215.jpg  
Old 06-04-2011, 05:02 PM

The last couple of days have been pretty basic stuff.

My wheels are both painted.

My tank is painted.

Subframe, kickstand, rear passenger pegs and such are painted, chain guard is painted, sprocket holder is painted.

None of that is cleared.

My front footpegs and such have been torn apart and primered.

My stompgrips, mirrors, and brake lines came. My gauges are on their way back and my undertail is on the way.

I tried to rebuild the brakes today, and ended up gouging some of my pistons pretty good. I was stupid, and I should have waited until the bike was more or less back together to force the pistons out with more brake fluid, but now I have to buy some more pistons, then do the same thing to get the old ones out and then start all over again. I'm looking at some calipers on ebay that I can hopefully cannibalize the pistons from.

I plan on painting the frame tomorrow. Paint is costing me a small fortune, but if it stays durable then it'll be worth it.

Pics attached.

Attached Thumbnails Summer Bike Overhaul Project-imag0233.jpg   Summer Bike Overhaul Project-imag0243.jpg   Summer Bike Overhaul Project-imag0244.jpg   Summer Bike Overhaul Project-imag0245.jpg   Summer Bike Overhaul Project-imag0240.jpg  

Old 06-06-2011, 03:47 PM

The frame is now painted and looks pretty good. I'm not sure what's with the discoloration by the triple tree - I sprayed it with some more paint today, and if it persists I'll have to figure something else out.

I cleaned up the airbox and headlights a bit, though looking at the headlights again I think they're due some more sanding. I really want them clear.

Starting tomorrow I'll begin clearing the sprockets and headers, and throughout the week proceed to clear everything left over.

The footpegs for the front and their assorted bits can get painted maybe Friday, and because they're small I think I'll clear them at the same time. I've decided the footpegs are going to be flat black to match the frame and passenger footrests; I'm thinking about painting the heel guards red or white. Any thoughts on a differently colored shifter pole?

At this point, aside from clear and those pegs, the engine covers need to be primed and painted, and I can do that after I clear the frame. I also need to paint the pipe leading to my exhaust, but I can only do that once the exhaust arrives, obviously. Brakes also need painted, but I need to wait a couple days to buy new ones, then wait for them to get here, then hook up the brakes, bleed them, work out the pistons, disassemble the brakes and finally prime and paint them. Phew.

Pics attached.

Attached Thumbnails Summer Bike Overhaul Project-imag0249.jpg   Summer Bike Overhaul Project-imag0251.jpg   Summer Bike Overhaul Project-imag0252.jpg   Summer Bike Overhaul Project-imag0254.jpg  
Old 06-08-2011, 05:58 PM

I clear coated my sprocket, headers, and subframe over the last two days, but school has been pretty busy so I didn't get a chance to get much more done.

Some more of my stuff came in, however: My levers and my gauge from bluegauges.com.

Pics of both attached, though the gauge isn't lit up yet.

Attached Thumbnails Summer Bike Overhaul Project-imag0257.jpg   Summer Bike Overhaul Project-imag0258.jpg  
Old 06-08-2011, 08:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, this is coming along really well! I am seriously impressed and can't wait to see the end result!

Bit late, but if you wet the floor instead of putting plastic down you will probably have less dust being kicked up and onto your paint.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:53 AM

Thanks, F3

I wet the floor down before I laid the plastic, but the plastic is mostly down to keep the paint off the floor. I've been pretty lucky so far as far as crud in the paint goes, though I'm sure there will be some in there.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:55 PM

The last couple of days I got my front wheel cleared along with all the small bits.

I still need to clear the frame (tomorrow) rear wheel and tank (next week), prime and paint the exhaust pipe (when it comes) and strip, prep, prime, and paint the engine covers and brake calipers.

My undertail came, as did my tank pad. I'm still waiting on my parts, exhaust, and headlights. Also, my brakes.

A pic attached.

Attached Thumbnails Summer Bike Overhaul Project-246996_10150200492840780_678535779_7392705_1215396_n.jpg  
Old 06-11-2011, 06:59 PM

I cleared the frame today. There are a few runs, but it came out really nicely I think.

A few pics are attached.

Attached Thumbnails Summer Bike Overhaul Project-imag0263.jpg   Summer Bike Overhaul Project-imag0267.jpg   Summer Bike Overhaul Project-imag0269.jpg   Summer Bike Overhaul Project-imag0270.jpg   Summer Bike Overhaul Project-imag0264.jpg  

Old 06-11-2011, 11:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good.

I have a question, what type of mesh is that you are using? Is that the standard gutter guard from a hardware store? Im looking for some but I want something with a tighter mesh than what ive found the guards have. yours looks like its about what i want.

Quick Reply: Summer Bike Overhaul Project