F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Summer Bike Overhaul Project

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 03:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a photo of it, print it with an inkjet printer, then laminate it and tape it around the painted fork. When you get the new one, insted of sticking it on, do the same!

Old 06-29-2011, 05:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been doing little stuff the last few days. I've:

Reattached the brake light spring.
Bled the brakes.
Placed the HID bulbs (though I'm missing one of the clips, so I left it out of both and will deal with a little bounce.)
Zip-tied the undertail.
Got the lock working.
Filled the bile with coolant and oil.
Replaced the gas tank gasket.
Reinstalled the fuel pump.
Replaced the rubber grommets on the tank.
Mounted the exhaust, though I'm going back and forth as to whether I should order the gasket that goes on the tail end of the headers; it seems loose there.

I've still gotta figure out the undertail wiring, mount the headlight ballasts, remount the headlights into the front fairing, mount the front fairing (all the fairings, really), fix the throttle cable, mount the airbox, then the gas tank, reconnecting the fuel line and such. But ... it's getting there. Maybe in time for a ride this long weekend.

Edit:

Now with pics, including a preview with the rear fairing on (but not finalized).

Attached Thumbnails Summer Bike Overhaul Project-imag0008.jpg   Summer Bike Overhaul Project-imag0009.jpg   Summer Bike Overhaul Project-imag0010.jpg  

Last edited by vegas_rebel; 06-29-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:50 PM

Really getting down to it on the bike. There's a few more big projects to do, but most of the things left to put on just bolt directly on.

Today I:

Wired up (correctly?) the undertail and slid heat shrink over the coverings. I'm not going to fire the shrink until I confirm everything works, though.

Tinkered with the trunk lock, finally getting it glued into position.

Shuffled the main electrical cords around the swingarm/suspension/ plastic tray so that the wires will clean up nicely when the battery is back in.

Readjusted the wind screen bolts and applied the graphics.

Wired up the HID's; just need the mirrors / turn signals and to connect the main power now.

Bolted on the front fender.

Applied my stomgrips and tank pad onto my gas tank.

I'm hoping for a ride on the 4th, even if it is supposed to be 113.

Pics attached.

Attached Thumbnails Summer Bike Overhaul Project-imag0362.jpg   Summer Bike Overhaul Project-imag0363.jpg   Summer Bike Overhaul Project-imag0364.jpg   Summer Bike Overhaul Project-imag0365.jpg   Summer Bike Overhaul Project-imag0366.jpg  

Old 07-04-2011, 07:10 PM

Okay so, after the throttle cable victory today I tossed on the airbox, gas tank, and nose fairing. I installed, but didn't wire, the mirrors, and installed the battery. A quick run to get new battery screws and some gas, and I came home and turned the key.

Most things seem to work. The gauge lights up, and looks awesome. The undertail lights up and the rear turn signals work, but the "running lights" make it look like the brakes are constantly on, and I can't seem to see a difference if I squeeze the brake lever. So, maybe I'll undo the running lights. The headlights don't work, so something in my HID wiring is no good (unless not having the turn signals wired in would make them not work?) Horn is good. The gauge realizes the bike is out of gas, sort of (full reserve bars). I didn't check the fuel pump, because I hadn't yet put gas in.

I put gas in, but it's leaking out the bottom. That means either I didn't put the fuel pump in correctly, the gasket isn't sealed right, or a hose is connected improperly. I tend to think it's either the first or the second, because the gas hoses aren't that complicated.

Dinner is in a few minutes, but I might work on it a little more tonight. Or, I might let the gas leak into the rag and leave it for the night, then try to mess with the tank in the morning. I suspect it'll be less of a mess if I just get my buddy to help tonight.

She's showing life, but not yet ready to go.

I'll add some pics in a bit.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:29 PM

Sucks abut the fuel pump man. I agree that is most likely. I hope you get it sorted out and can ride it tonight!

Old 07-04-2011, 10:31 PM

The gas problem seems fixed - I think the gasket just wasn't seated quite well enough. I poured more gas in there and didn't see any leaks, so...

Tried the fuel pump via the handle switch; no go. Starter didn't work either. So now with the HIDs I'm sensing electrical demons about. Plus, there's a female plug near the battery that I'm not sure what to plug it into ... whoops. That's the last pic attached.

But, it's looking like a bike. I wonder if I mixed up some of the plugs in the nose fairing. It could explain the HID's, and maybe the fuel pump / starter switch.

Pics attached.

Attached Thumbnails Summer Bike Overhaul Project-imag0371.jpg   Summer Bike Overhaul Project-imag0372.jpg   Summer Bike Overhaul Project-imag0373.jpg   Summer Bike Overhaul Project-imag0374.jpg  
Old 07-05-2011, 07:52 PM

Got the undertail wired up today, though I need to adjust the rear brake switch so that it's not always on.

It fits better than I thought, you just have to -really- pull it over to align the holes. There's no way I could do it under my rear fairing, so I have to adjust the fit a bit.

A few pics, with everything but the side fairings down (the rear fairing could use some adjustment, and the tank isn't bolted down.)

Just need to figure out the front electrical now and I should be able to start her up.

Attached Thumbnails Summer Bike Overhaul Project-imag0375.jpg   Summer Bike Overhaul Project-imag0376.jpg   Summer Bike Overhaul Project-imag0377.jpg  
Old 07-05-2011, 08:03 PM

Is that the Pimpbike undertail? Is it the fairing that is off or the undertail? Looks kind of strange with that gap in it!

Old 07-05-2011, 08:07 PM

It's the bestem undertail from xdcycle.

I can get rid of the gap with some shuffling of the rear fairing. I just got tired of trying to yank and pull it around to get it over the undertail. Even still, I'm not thrilled about the fitament. It shouldn't have the gap when I'm done, though.

Knock on wood, but so far the CBRFairing fitament has been perfect - no drilling needed so far.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:17 PM

I think others have had problems withthe Bestem not fitting. The Pimpbike fits real well but has LED brightness issues I think.

Quick Reply: Summer Bike Overhaul Project