F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Sudden Electrical Issue

Old 09-24-2007, 01:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sudden Electrical Issue

Alright Gents.
I'm sure that similar things have been covered before, but I'm having trouble finding any posts about my exact situation...so here it is.

The weather down here in Texas has been fabulous for the past 2-3 weeks, and (as most of you would assume) my car has been parked for almost 2 weeks straight.
I've taken the bike out every day in those two weaks for at least 3 hours of riding per day, I'd say.

Everything was smooth and reliable, as you'd expect from a Honda, up until today. This morning, I go to leave, and the bike starts, but it didn't sound right.
It sounded like the battery was weak. More cranks than normal and slower.

I shrug it off and have a great ride for probably 30 minutes. I park the bike and she ****s for about 5 hours, at which poing it's time to come home.
She tries a few times, no dice. Really sounded like a dead battery. I tried once or twice more and it got down to the clicking of doom.
So, I hit the net, pull off the seat, and get a little juice from my girl's car, get her running, and get my *** home. As I pulled into the garage, I put the stand down, turned her off, put the stand back up and turned her back on, and she's doing exactly the same thing she was doing pre-jumping.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but this sounds like a definite electrical problem - the battery's dead, or it's not charging.
What does this sound like to you guys? I'm kind of bewildered by how fast it came on. I thought a dead battery might kind of fade out, instead of kicking the bucket all of a sudden one day.
Does it sound like more of a charging system problem?
Any knowledge would be great.
Thanks Guys,
Acumen

Old 09-24-2007, 01:08 AM
Default RE: Sudden Electrical Issue

Funny, same thing happened to me 2 days ago. Bikes running fine, turn it off, turn it back on and nothing! You've got a dead battery. Give it up and go get a new one! You won't regret it. These batteries are a pain in the ***.

Old 09-24-2007, 01:44 AM

well if its not the battery then its probably the regulator rectifier. its a pretty common problem for those to overheat and stop working. might wanna check that out as well.
________
ATIVAN REHAB FORUMS

Last edited by axsys; 05-04-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:10 AM

Update: I've replaced the battery and the problem persisted. After I replaced the battery, she started like a champ and I rode her home (about a half hour ride) and when I got home, parked it in the driveway, went and opened the garage door, and I came back to find that she wouldn't start again. Same issue, she tries, but can't quite make it.
Regulator Rectifyer? Stator?
Other thoughts?
Thanks for the input,
Acumen

Old 10-16-2007, 10:15 AM

i got regulator/rectifier if you need one. heh not sure where u are in Texas but i'm flying to houston tomorrow too for 2 days lol

Old 10-16-2007, 11:52 AM
I ♥ CBRF

Its your regulator. Replace it.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:25 PM
IDL

ORIGINAL: Streetdemon

Its your regulator. Replace it.
+1 this happened to me and I had a faulty regulator

What was happening is that at certain RPM's (higher than idle) the battery was not charging so when I rode the bike the battery was draining.

You could check the voltages on the battery when the bike is running. I think it should be 13 or 14 volts when charging (can't remember exactly).
Then try this at different RPM's

Old 10-24-2007, 10:27 AM

Alright, the saga continues.
I opened up my bike and tested it with the old r/r installed, and at idle, the voltage was 12, when revved, the voltage jumped around rather wildly. With the new one installed, the idle voltage was 14 and when revved it smoothly approached 15.

I saw this and figured Hey, there's my problem. I put everything back together, jumped the bike and went for probably a half hour ride. When I got to my destination, I tried starting the bike, only to find that the bike wouldn't start itself. So, I then proceed to do some push starts: 1 for a 5 minute ride to the gas station, 1 for a 10 minute ride into town, and 1 for the 15-20 minute ride back to my house. The weird part is that once I got to my house, I got off the bike and went inside to open the garage door, and when I came back out to move the bike inside, the bike started. It was weak, but it started.

What does this sound like to you guys?
Possibly the first ride just wasn't enough to get a good charge?
The battery I installed last week was bad to start?(It was a cheap-ish battery off of ebay)
Stator issues?
Please give me your opinions.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:51 PM

What you need to do is measure the current draw (milliamps) on the battery when the bike is sitting, turned off. Just disconnect the ground and hook a digital multimeter in series with the ground wire and the -ve terminal of the battery and see what it's reading. I'm not sure of the correct number, but it should be no more than 20-30 ma's. Any more and you've got something draining your battery. Alarm?

Old 10-24-2007, 03:12 PM

I'll see if she starts today and go from there.
I don't have an alarm installed or anything. Nothing that , to my knowledge, would drain the battery while the bike is turned off, other than the instrument cluster, of course.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sudden Electrical Issue