F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Starting with an F4i

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 04:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Starting with an F4i

umm... first bike... as in first bike ever for a new rider.

no.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:04 PM

First bike, first time riding here. Going for my MSF tomorrow-sat-sun, been riding around my neighborhood and the parking lot for the past week, practicing turning, figure 8s, 360s, emergency braking, acceleration, shifting..been doing fine so far.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:09 PM

I started with an 01 f4i. Now that I'm getting more aggresive on the bike I want the 600RR. It's just more set up for the way I like to ride. It takes some costly upgrades to get my f4i to the point of a factory 600RR.

But honestly once I get the 600RR, I'll probably want the 1000RR. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:44 PM

ORIGINAL: Mchu86

This is my first bike. IMO, it's a very good bike to start with, and from what others have told me, I made a good choice. I've ridden other bikes like the R6 and ZX-6R around and the F4i is a much easier bike to handle. The other bikes handle really good but it can be deceiving bike ability as rider ability which puts you in trouble. I haven't regretted getting the F4i and still continues to make me happy everytime I ride it. I think the best part with it is that you can grow into a F4i, not like other beginner bikes like a Ninja 250 or 500 where you kinda wanna upgrade. I know I will have the F4i for quite some time before I feel I need to upgrade.
ORIGINAL: some guy #2

^ yes. Take the msf class and just practice for a while in a parking lot. I started on a f4i and have had no problems so far.
heh I was valedictorian of my MSF class (not much to brag about[8D]...but I did beat a guy that's been riding for decades ) so it gave me a little more confidence before hopping on my baby.

Overall I couldn't have said it better ^^. I know for sure if I got a 250 I'd be constantly kicking myself. As long as you take the MSF, don't be stupid, know your limits, and respect the bike, the F4i is a great choice.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:26 PM

i got my 06 f4i 2 months ago. its my first bike and love it. They really are awesome beginer bikes. I won't be upgrading fo awhile cause i love my bike. Just put on an erion racing pipe and it really woke it up.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:17 PM
Retired Moderator

I think you can bust your *** on a skateboard going 7 mph...or on a 250cc motorcycle for that matter. I think the individual plays a huge part in the argument. Irecently went riding with a guy on an Aprillia (1000cc) and he can smoke me without even trying...he was also in shorts and a t-shirt. What does that say? If youchose to start on a bigger bike, be sure you are emphatic about riding the "correct" way. There is a lot one can do to boost their longevity. Take theMSF, always keep your eyes peeled, and ride like you want to ride again tomorrow. Getting home safe is the key...please be safe you guys (and gals).

Old 08-02-2007, 08:32 PM

Amen to that brother, well said +1

Check your blind spots, twice wont do it, three times will. Look behind, ahead, side to side, where you want to go. Pay attention not to a car but the driver in the car.

There is a lot of motorcycle riders around here and i'm usually super carefull having them around me. I hope people will have the same courtesy once i start riding around in the streets.

Be safe, wear your gear no matter how hot it is, skin grows back, unfortunately it grows back funky.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:57 PM

Angela,

Those are interesting comments. I guess that's why the 600RR is rated bike of the year by just about everyone. However, I would not trade the bike, particularly if you are going to lose your *** on the trade. The F4i is supposedly a great bike. I think as you ride other bikes you will see how good your F4i is. You just have the unfortunate situation of parking every day next to the bike that the whole world is raving over for its fantastic design. I would keep your bike, however, and appreciate its strengths, which will be as a cummuter and tourer. Your bike will be more stable in bad weather, better for 2-up riding, and more stable when strapped down with camping gear and the like. And though you don't seem to appreciate the riding position too much, it is a perk. And even if you think your bike is inferior to his in every way, I bet you nded up paying considerably less for yours than he did for his. Anyway, find a reason to stick with your bike for a while so that when you trade it in you won't lose out so bad. And don't rush out and get an '07 600RR. Wait til '08 or even '09 when the CBR is surely to come standard with a slipper clutch and have other improvements, or another of the Japanese manufacturers makes a bike that tops the 600RR. In other words, accept your F4i, get good experience on it, and ride your boyfriend's bike whenever you get the chance. Envy him for a year or two, then go out and trade in your F4i for the bike that will make him envy YOU, whether it be the 08 or 09 CBR 600RR or perhaps a Suzuki or Yamaha or Kawasaki that comes out to dethrone the RR as the best bike.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:15 PM

It would be silly to trade in your bike so quickly. I guess many people own a bike to promote their image, so riding around an f4i which is not the fastest/newest/coolest of the 600s takes away from your image. Be honest with yourself, although the bike inspires confidence, realize how much you still have left to learn. It is a nice bike, you should learn how to ride it well before "upgrading". Get some more riding experience before you even consider getting something with more power.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:33 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It's my first bike, and it rocks! I really like the throttle reponse, real smoothe and consistent throughout the rpm range. I also like how she starts reliably, everytime. The handling is excellent also, easy to lean without hesitating.

Quick Reply: Starting with an F4i