F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Starting with an F4i

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 09:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Starting with an F4i

I started with an F4i in May, great bike to start with. I wouldnt want anything smaller, I am a big guy however (210 lbs) so I may be looking to upgrade next yr

Old 07-30-2007, 09:27 AM

A buddy of mine at work rode an F4i for years before selling it when he went to Germany. He is actually looking to buy another F4i. He has no concept of 'moving up' to a bike for more experienced rider or anything. What I am getting at is that the F4i is a 'beginner bike' that has a full set of teeth and will keep you happy even as a plenty experienced rider. On that note, however, as the other posters above have mentioned, the F4i is a beginner motorcycle that is just as capable of getting you killed as any of the racing replicas. So ride responsibly.

We also have a couple of F4i's that park in the same motorcycle space as me at work. When I pull up next to them with my 600RR, I don't scoff at them as an underpowered beginner machine like I would a Ninja 250 or something. I look at them as well rounded middleweights well-suited for a beginner but could kick my tail in a race if I don't bring my A-game. I would recommend it to any beginner as a first bike that they are least likely to feel the need to upgrade from once they get more experienced, and a great bike for an experienced rider who wants a fully capable speed machine that he could feel confident about riding 2-up with or loading down with some heavy gear for sport touring camping trips and the like with plenty of comfort for long duration rides and boring commutes. The only way you will ever need to upgrade is if you want to get seriously into track racing (you will want your bike to match specs with all the other racers out there) or if you are a speed demon who deliberately bought what you thought was an underpowered bike to learn on but deep in your heart you want a literbike. In the former case you should have just started out on a 600 series race replica from any of the four Japanese manufacturers. In the latter, you should have started on the Ninja 250 or one of the 500cc bikes and upgraded straight to a literbike as soon as you learned how to ride. But if you are not going to live on the track, the F4i was not only a good choice to start on, but it may just be all you ever need. Just be careful. People call it a beginner bike, but it's got close to the capabilities of the race replicas and you need to be careful on it.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:53 AM

F4i was my first bike last September. I took the MSF course like 4-5 months before getting it. Hopped on, took the first few months slow.. then started learning and fell in love with twisties lol. Awesome bike to get into the game with, and also a great bike to keep you entertained. No regrets what so ever for me.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:32 AM

i started with a 2005 f4i. great bike to start with....i want to get into stunting and i dont wanna tear my bike up....its still in perfect shape...anyone know someone lookin for an f4i, let me kno!!

Old 07-30-2007, 11:42 AM
Registered Users

If you do get it as your first bike, get frame sliders.

Old 07-30-2007, 01:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Started with 02 F4i (rode the 250CCs at MSF)
It's comfortable (except hard seat for very long rides) and has great handling (hence the phrase 'easy to handle') = good starter bike

Power wheelies in 1st and 2nd, 0-60 in under 3 seconds, >150mph (faster than if you'd fall from an airplane) = plenty power once you are experienced (don't rev it too much for the first 4 months)
Just remember it was a race bike before the RRs were born!

I've lowsided, but I like to think that was due to 5 year old tires... or me, but not because the bike was too hard to control (this was after 2k miles)

Old 07-30-2007, 05:11 PM

Starting off with an 02 F4i here as well, first bike, and first bike ever. Haven't taken the MSF but thats this weekend. Been riding around the block and my parking lot and haven't fell or come close (hopefully won't, knock on wood)

But i would def recomend it, like someone said it will kick your *** (or nuts in my case haha), don't floor it in first then let off without holding on to the tank with your knees pretty dam good.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:35 PM

ORIGINAL: JB_Pgh

If you do get it as your first bike, get frame sliders.
speaking of frame sliders, they are such a bitch putting on. i just put mine on a couple of days ago. only honda makes all the modding/accessories so much harder than the other manufacturers.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:52 PM

i got an 06 f4i a little over a month ago, brand new, as my 1st bike. my boyfriend got an 07 600rr at the same time as his 1st bike and i just rode his yesterday for the first time and i am kicking myself for choosing the f4i. i still like mine but i actually feel more comfortable on his. i had mine lowered and inch and his is still lower, it rides smoother, shifts easier and turns easier. i went with the f4i due to it having the handle bars a bit higher and the footpegs not so far back. so i guess for the 1st week of riding it was a good choice since it seemed a little less scary getting on, but now just a month later i am thinking of trading it in...gonna lose my *** on that trade. But that's just my opinion, its still a really nice bike and i get complements all the time.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:14 PM

Don't trade it, just remember before there were RR's there were f4i's, its my first bike, bought used was lowered an inch also. I sat on an 07600rr and mine is so much more comfortable. Just because of less weight and better suspension (dunno what else) its not worth it. The f4i is an amazing bike, and mine is an 02

Quick Reply: Starting with an F4i