F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Spraying frame black?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spraying frame black?

Hey guys, Just a quick question...

On here I see a lot of people with F4i's with black frame bars and matching black parts here and there. I was wondering whether some cbr's came with that as standard or are they all been sprayed/coated and if so How do I get this done? Also, does anyone have an experience in painting the air duct covers to give them a high gloss finish?

Thanks guys.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:17 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe the 01-03's came with the black frame.
I painted my air ducts a high gloss finish but was in a rush and didn't spend as much time as I should have on the prep work so they came out not up to my standards so I will be re-doing them as soon as I have more free time.
**Spend a little extra time on the prep work**
It makes all the difference in the world

Old 03-26-2011, 11:35 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Powder coating typically gives a nice result...requires disassembly. Wheels are commonly done this way to change color or to repair scuffs/scratches. Take to you local powder coating shop, pic color, pic up when done. (For reference, my local shop charges $40 per wheel.)

While you can spray it, as mentioned above, prep is key to a good result. W/o proper prep & good spray technique, the result will show it.

I'd recommend not painting your duct covers to a "high gloss finish"...leave them subdued/matte black. You don't want the sun reflecting on a high gloss finish, blinding you while riding.

['99-00 F4 have natural aluminum frame/swingarm/subframe.]

Old 03-27-2011, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by gotcbr
Powder coating typically gives a nice result...requires disassembly. Wheels are commonly done this way to change color or to repair scuffs/scratches. Take to you local powder coating shop, pic color, pic up when done. (For reference, my local shop charges $40 per wheel.)

While you can spray it, as mentioned above, prep is key to a good result. W/o proper prep & good spray technique, the result will show it.

I'd recommend not painting your duct covers to a "high gloss finish"...leave them subdued/matte black. You don't want the sun reflecting on a high gloss finish, blinding you while riding.

['99-00 F4 have natural aluminum frame/swingarm/subframe.]

do you have your covers done? maybe its the time of day i ride or something. but reflections never hit me.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:26 PM

By high gloss finish I meant like... not the bumpy textured feel that they have as standard and a grayish colour but instead a smooth jet black to match the fairing is what im trying to get at...

Old 03-27-2011, 01:42 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by woodypk
By high gloss finish I meant like... not the bumpy textured feel that they have as standard and a grayish colour but instead a smooth jet black to match the fairing is what im trying to get at...
I used the Krylon fusion high gloss and clear coat and it turned out pretty good.
I am going to redo it at some point because I screwed up in the prep work and didn't come out as well as I know it could.
Just spend lots of time in the prep and it will go smoothly

Old 03-27-2011, 04:10 PM

when i had my bike pearl i painded the covers gloss bike and it set off the white really well. i loved it. then.... i decided to murder it out n they went flat.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:04 PM

Before:

After:

I just finished this project yesterday. I highly recommend taking care of the texture finish before paint, you guys ( obviously some of you arent happy with ur turnout ) here is what you need to do
1. Prep plastic with a liquid scuffing agent ( removes oil, grease, armour all )
2. Put a plastic promoter/adhesion promoter on plastic, let sit for 10 mintues.
3. I then put 4 to 5 coats of primer on ( fills in texture ). Let dry to manufactures required time.
4. Sand primer with 400 grit, then 600 grit sand paper and scuff with a red scuff pad.
5. Wax and grease your air ducts, and DONT FORGET to tack it off with a sticky tack cloth. ( whipe dust off )
6. Apply one coat of black sealer, ( if going black )
7. Apply 2 to 3 coats of black, and two heavy coats of clear and BAM! All done!

I am an autobody painter, I used Sherwin Williams product line. If you have any questions on specific materials used and their actual product number, PM me.

Attached Thumbnails Spraying frame black?-air1.jpg   Spraying frame black?-air2.jpg  

Last edited by Candypaintdrip; 03-30-2011 at 06:26 PM. Reason: miss spelling
Old 03-30-2011, 02:14 AM

I bet that looks good, but for some reason I can't see the images you've posted up lol.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:35 AM
Banned

Spend the extra time and money and get it powdercoated.

Quick Reply: Spraying frame black?