F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

spike fairing bolts

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 07:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can also use needle nose pliers...but use with a rag or something so you don;t scratch them...and remember that they are just aluminum threads so do not strip them, or you will have fun getting them out...

Last edited by crazychris1981; 02-21-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by crazychris1981
well if you wreck more than likely you will be thrown from bike.. and if the bike did land on you chances are the spikes are the least of your worries.. but to each there own...
i like them and the helped protect my fairings so i am happy with them..
And if you hit someone else, like a pedestrian, with spiky bits poking out of your bike?

Old 02-22-2011, 06:15 AM

really....if you hit someone like a pedestrian with your bike without spike bolts what would happen???????? THEY WOULD GET HURT......
come on now... how many people have you hit with your bike and they were ok.. these are not razor blades they are spikes that aren't really sharp at the end...

hey Michelle..ride by and hit someone with your mirror and tell me they don't cuss you out...your mirror will stick out a lot farther than these spikes do.....

Old 02-22-2011, 07:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you injured someone with your bike and they could prove that additional damage was inflicted because of your modifications you would be screwed.

Also, it looks ****.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:26 AM

I think what we are saying that they are more problems than a strickly cosmetic thing is worth. Though they are better than the spike bar ends. Though I'd never have either

Old 02-22-2011, 08:37 AM

the point i am trying to make is if you injure someone with your bike you could face charges leading up to vehicular man slaughter... the spikes could be ruled as a weapon even lethal...but the fact remains that you hit someone....
the spike wont fly off your bike and kill someone just riding down the street..they screw in because they are bolts....
i personally ride mainly the highway.. not too many people hanging out there..lol... but i do see your point...
if you don't like the style...they are not for you....
if you live in a crowded area...may not be a good idea...
if you ride like a bat out of hell through down town or a campus...your an idiot...don't get them...
you don't like them cool i respect that...but how many people have you hit with your bike truthfully...
i would like to add if someone was hit by my bike i would feel horrible..even more so if they got hurt worse due to my spikes...but you can't change the fact that you will have to hit someone in order to find that out.. personally i don't want to think about hitting someone...

Last edited by crazychris1981; 02-22-2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by crazychris1981

hey Michelle..ride by and hit someone with your mirror and tell me they don't cuss you out...your mirror will stick out a lot farther than these spikes do.....
If I were to hit someone with the mirror it would be in a carpark at low speed and the mirror would fold in anyway. Even at low speed the spikes have the potential to cut someone. Remember that pedestrians tend to wear thin clothing.
I know you keep saying each to their own, but why does anybody want to make a motorcycle more dangerous than it already is - on the basis of some dubious bling factor?

Old 02-23-2011, 06:52 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread reminds me of a co-worker who built a chopper style bicycle. On the downtube from the headset to the bottom bracket he installed 13 1-inch metal spikes (hmm...13) up and down the tube.

I cringe whenever I see that bike. I know it's different but all he'd have to do is hit a pothole or something and stop suddenly. The resulting slide off the seat and into those 13 spikes would not be pretty.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:32 PM

i see your point Michelle...
and even though the biggest spike i have is 1" but the only ones that could touch any one just riding by is 1/2 inch...there is still a chance for it to happen...
or if the bike did fall off kick stand on someone would be another possible way....
in order for me as the rider to hit any of these spikes (Roadijeff) i would have to land on wind screen or bike land on me where side fairings meats upper...

i didn't start this thread to make anyone mad at me and i am sorry if i did..
i will drop it.. since more of you feel it is a hazard to others than the look of it or the protection factor of your fairings is concerned it is pointless for me to say anything......

thread is dead______________________________________________ ________________