F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Speed Sensor Swap (VSS) DIY

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 11:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Speed Sensor Swap (VSS) DIY

Sup fellow F4i'rs!!

So i recently ordered both a new CCTL (Cam Chain Tensioner Lifter) and a VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) from Honda's Powerhouse here and i'm still waiting on the VSS to come in, everything else came in.

So, i decided to make a DIY of how to change the VSS out, (atleast provide tons of pictures, i know those help) since it's about the only thing i couldn't find a DIY for here so this is me giving back to this great site.

NOTICE: I took the service manuals aproach and took out the throttle body, or better yet moved it out of the way since i didn't see a need to disconnect the throttle cables. Some other people have suggested to get to it from the rear suspension, but i tried that aproach back when i cleaned the sensor off and didn't necessarly like it, space is too tight and don't want to damage other wires close by, plus i got to take a look at how my bike is doing around 8k and snap pictures to compare to later on. Your call! I say take the time out and get a long phillip head the service manual calls for and unscrew the 4 phillips screws holding each insulator from the throttle body to the engine(1 screw per insulator), everything else is basically disconnecting a wire harness or 2.

So here are the pics: 1ST Picture- Side view of the bike apart (Gas tank, intake housing, throttle body out) 2ND- Top view of where you will get into thru to get to the VSS. 3rd- the VSS held down by if i recall correctly 2 10mm bolts(you will need to move 2 coolant hoses out of the way before getting a clear view of the sensor. 4TH- easiest way is using extensions and a universal swivel, since the frame IS in the way and you will need to go in side ways to unscrew the 2 bolts. 5TH- to the other side of the sensor where it connects to the harness. You will be disconnecting the one with the black housing NOT the red housing you see on the picture.

Attached Thumbnails Speed Sensor Swap (VSS) DIY-dsc07919.jpg   Speed Sensor Swap (VSS) DIY-dsc07937.jpg   Speed Sensor Swap (VSS) DIY-dsc07940.jpg   Speed Sensor Swap (VSS) DIY-dsc07942.jpg   Speed Sensor Swap (VSS) DIY-dsc07943.jpg  

Last edited by manny04; 11-01-2010 at 11:06 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:17 PM

Continued;

Here's another 5 shots @ the VSS: 1ST Picture- is the VSS removed with the O-ring still in place (make sure you order a new O-ring when buying the new VSS). 2ND- since i have one laying around the garage i figure i clean it up and stick it in there(since they say to try and clean that area from any metal filings, i used that magnet, great tool!). 3RD- is the picture of the culprit out and about. 4TH- is the close up view of the magnetic part of the VSS that reads the speed, what goes bad in my opinion. 5TH- picture of the throttle body to the side with the cables still attached, you don't have to disconnect them if you can find a chair or something to support them on. MAKE SURE to cover up the cylinder head from any debris in your garage getting in there (i used paper towel) as you can tell.

Attached Thumbnails Speed Sensor Swap (VSS) DIY-dsc07945.jpg   Speed Sensor Swap (VSS) DIY-dsc07947.jpg   Speed Sensor Swap (VSS) DIY-dsc07948.jpg   Speed Sensor Swap (VSS) DIY-dsc07950.jpg   Speed Sensor Swap (VSS) DIY-dsc07952.jpg  

Last edited by manny04; 10-29-2010 at 12:22 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:20 PM

You will need to drain the coolant system to remove both the small and large hose from the left bottom side of the bike to move the hoses out of the way. Both hoses pass thru the top of the VSS so you'll need to do that to have access. GL! Any questions send me a PM. I'll have pics up of the new VSS when i pick it up next week.

Attached Thumbnails Speed Sensor Swap (VSS) DIY-dsc07953.jpg  
Old 10-29-2010, 10:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your hard work is very much appreciated! Im going to wait till spring to clean my vss but this helps tremendously.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by MitchA
Your hard work is very much appreciated! Im going to wait till spring to clean my vss but this helps tremendously.
GLAD I CAN HELP OUT!

So today Honda's Powerhouse finally got the vss in and i was able to install it and put everything back together took me from 4:30pm to 7:20pm. And that's taking my time looking back at the service manual making sure everything was to spec + cleaning eveything off making the internals look showroom clean(<makes me feel better).

I gotta say after all the hard work i put into replacing both the CCTL and VSS, there is just NO greater feeling then when i took my bike for a test ride. New cctl makes the bike sound great again and love seeing how fast im going and the FI off. Dreaming with my F4i tonight! lol

Last edited by manny04; 11-01-2010 at 11:05 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You wasted literally hours and hours of time.

All you need to do is tilt the tank and remove the LHS fairing to access the VSS. (you can also get to the CCT with the tank tilted and the RHS fairing removed). The VSS can be accessed from the left without removing anything else, see my HOWTO:

https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mechanical-40/how-f4i-speed-sensor-swap-110034/

It took me about 1/2 an hour start to finish when I did it again to replace the VSS.

EPIC FAIL

Old 11-03-2010, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by DonnyBrago
EPIC FAIL
Hey Donny! First off, great right up on how to do a VSS swap, in dealer mode. Very Detailed, Congrats!

If you read on my first post where i wrote 'Notice' you will 'Notice' that i stated that i took the service manuals aproach for the second time around to replace the sensor, and that the first time around i did it your way (when i cleaned it off to attempt to save having to buy one) and that i did not particularly like it. Tight space (i have big hands) and i had my bike in my garage own a truck and did not mind taking off the throttle body and what not to get a better angle on replacing both the VSS and the CCTL. I had also found a thread of how to change the CCTL the quick way, but since i knew i had to change the VSS as well i figure what the hell i'm replacing the VSS so i might as well do it together and with space.

So when you capitalize epic fail it's a bit of a concern to me because it appears you didn't read thru the entire thread before posting. Atleast now people have both my way and a link to your ways aproach and it's THEIR CALL to which way they prefer, i personally like working with space if i am at home and it's my own vehicle, instead of working as if i am getting paid at a dealership to knock it out, so i understand you on that. Good day to you sir.

Last edited by manny04; 11-03-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read through both of your How To 's and they both look easy to follow. Ty guys for taking your time writing these posts, so when I have to tackle it in the future it will be a cake walk.

Moses

Old 11-05-2010, 03:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by manny04
Stuff
Did read it, was just taking the pi$$, no major offence intended.

To be fair, your way is the way the manuals suggest, but I commute on mine so it needs to be out of action for as little time as possible.

Ride safe