F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Sound at ~ 5k+

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 12:04 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound at ~ 5k+

Hello all.

I've had a 2001 F4i for about 2 months now. Loving it.

One thing that I noticed this morning riding to work is that at around 5k RPM, a sound starts coming from the engine. It doesn't sound bad, just... foreign. It is not there at idle, and once above 6-7k, I don't hear it any more. I don't know if it goes away or the exhaust noise is too much and I can't hear it above the exhaust.

A great way to put it is that it sounds like a shuffling a deck of cards, but only like the soft air slapping sound when riffle shuffling. It doesn't sound sharp and piercing like cards slapping together or anything.

The bike has about 20k miles. There is no other sign of any valve clearance issues, no ticking (I'm pretty sure I know what valve tick sounds like, and that'd occur at all RPMs), or otherwise loss of power. I have never over-revved, tho I did hit the rev limiter this weekend when I *****-footed the shifter from 1-> N instead of getting into 2nd and I revved and saw the red shift indicator light come on for a fraction of a second. But the engine has shown absolutely no symptoms since then, I rode another 50+ miles of joy after that.

Any help and insights would be very much appreciated. Seeing as the bike is still fairly new to me, I wonder if maybe I'm just noticing new details in the sound it has always had, or if some issue is creeping up that I should take care of early.

Cheers!

M

Old 05-09-2012, 02:05 PM

It's the Cam Chain Tensioner link (CTTL) look at the Sticky at the top of this forum and it will give you the information you need to do it. I did mine around 20K miles. It is pretty straight forward. If you are even a little bit mechanically inclined you should be able to do it yourself in an afternoon. Cheapcycleparts.com is where I bought my parts.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:50 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to fix it yourself just follow this How-To:
https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mecha...l-pics-116975/

Old 05-09-2012, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by zimdbw74
It's the Cam Chain Tensioner link (CTTL) look at the Sticky at the top of this forum and it will give you the information you need to do it. I did mine around 20K miles. It is pretty straight forward. If you are even a little bit mechanically inclined you should be able to do it yourself in an afternoon. Cheapcycleparts.com is where I bought my parts.
+1 to that! I replaced mine last spring with a new one because i was having the same noise, however after about 1000 kms or so of riding the noise is back, same as before. So i just ordered an APE manual tensioner so i'll never have to worry about it again!

Old 05-09-2012, 06:34 PM
Registered Users

Sounds like it might be it. The previous owner did say that this guy had rhe CCT replaced from the original faulty one though. That make a diff? Also, related, I get a raspy metallic sound at 6k rpm. Same thing?

Thanks for the easy links! I enjoy doing my own work.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:06 PM

Yeah, sounds like cct is shot, iv gone threw 2 of them already. But after i replaced the second one with a manual and it was still making a noise. I adjusted my valves and it went all away. So may wanna check that also.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dammit. i thought that raspy noise was normal. grrr.... spend more $$

Old 05-09-2012, 08:39 PM

Well it is normal noise on cbr, just not a good normal lol. Its a easy fix either way. It usually goes bad after 35k miles. give or take a few.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well. some dude on youtube said you can just adjust it.

[youtube]SqnfSOyqhM0[/youtube]

Old 05-09-2012, 09:02 PM

Personally i call BS on that. i had a auto cct such as that one. the issue is, its a screw on a spring. Yeah it may work for a few days, but screws vibrate out, as will the cct. Your best bet is to buy a manual APE cct or do as i did and make a manual cct.

Quick Reply: Sound at ~ 5k+