F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Slip-On Installed, but is a PCIII Required??

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 10:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slip-On Installed, but is a PCIII Required??

The bike I'm picking up on Saturday has an M4 slip-on, but it doesn't have a pcIII or anything. Should that be something I should get right away, or car I ride it without problems for a while. I quess I would like to know if there will be any damage done if I ride it without the pcIII. I'll have the money to get the pcIII, but I would like to get frame stands and a few other odds and ends first like gear. Thanks in advance

-Jesse-

Old 01-17-2006, 02:22 PM
Retired Administrator
Default RE: Slip-On Installed, but is a PCIII Required??

No damage.... it may run rich or lean depending on the set up, but you're not going to break anything. We have a lot of people running slip ons without a PC III. I will be in about two more weeks. You will get better performance if you do buy one, but you can wait.

Old 01-17-2006, 05:41 PM

Thanks Don. I really want to get one with a custom map, but I would rather get a new helmet and jacket first. I'll probably get one by the end of the summer after I get used to the bike.

-Jesse-

Old 01-17-2006, 06:21 PM

I've got a Yosh RS-3 with no PCIII. My bike runs fine.

Old 01-17-2006, 11:59 PM

ORIGINAL: kiggy74

I've got a Yosh RS-3 with no PCIII. My bike runs fine.
Thats what I was hoping for, there are a few guys around here that were telling me that if there is a pipe installed then I have to get the pcIII. I'm going to get it sometime when I have the money to get it dyno tuned, but until then I'll just ride it like it is. Thanks again

-Jesse-

Old 01-18-2006, 02:23 AM

I've been told that to get the maximal performance gains possible from the pipe you need a controller to customize fuel/air mix, etc. This is consistent with my experience with other vehicles ('03 Suzuki LTZ 400 w/Full Yosh exhaust, Stage 2 Carb Jets, and K&N filter).

To be honest I'm pretty new to street bikes, so a stock 600cc engine is plenty for me. I just wanted something to sound a little more aggressive. The Yosh matches my bike perfectly too and looks great.

Old 01-18-2006, 10:18 AM

Thanks again. I will get the PCIII after a few months of riding and after I get used to it. I rode a 95 ZX7 and my buddy with an '01 F4i could walk all over the 750. He was more experienced than I was, but straight line acceleration and 6th gear roll ons he could beat me. So it will take me a few weeks to get used to it and then I'll get a few more bolt ons. I appreciate all of your input guys.

-Jesse-

Old 01-18-2006, 12:46 PM

If you rev the bike up near redline, and then abruptly shut the throttle, you'll most likey encounter some backfiring/popping if you don't have a custom map to go with the aftermarket pipe. That used to drive me crazy when I had my Speed Triple. Now I'm running my CBR with a 2BR pipe, K&N and a PC3 with a perfect map and there is absolutely NO popping whatsoever. It's really music to the ears!

Old 01-18-2006, 06:08 PM

ORIGINAL: 3power

If you rev the bike up near redline, and then abruptly shut the throttle, you'll most likey encounter some backfiring/popping if you don't have a custom map to go with the aftermarket pipe. That used to drive me crazy when I had my Speed Triple. Now I'm running my CBR with a 2BR pipe, K&N and a PC3 with a perfect map and there is absolutely NO popping whatsoever. It's really music to the ears!
My buddy has a 2 bro pipe and his does the same thing after coming off wide open throttle. It backfires ans pops a little, doesn't really bother me, but it will get one sooner than later.

Thanks alot

-Jesse-

Old 01-18-2006, 07:00 PM
Retired Administrator

ORIGINAL: Turnin20s

Thanks Don. I really want to get one with a custom map, but I would rather get a new helmet and jacket first. I'll probably get one by the end of the summer after I get used to the bike.

-Jesse-
Smart thinking... it's nice to add on to the bike, but you come first. Get the gear you need.

Quick Reply: Slip-On Installed, but is a PCIII Required??