F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Sliders

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 09:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sliders

I'm gonna slap some sliders on my F4i. Any recommendations? Are there any sliders that I don't require drillin' holes into the fairings??

Thanks

Old 02-18-2009, 09:44 PM

dont wanna drill? they are called no-cut. theres plenty of threads on this. search and read.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:54 PM

If you go down, and have no drill sliders, they are not going to protect your bike as well. I had a friend who had them and they snapped off his bike. What a waste. If you do it, do it right, get the ones you have to cut.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well Steph, just got done ranting about the whole fiberglass thing. I bought my bike (01 f4i) from a police auction and it had a slider on it, the kind that require cutting the hole, and one was snapped off. So its not the cut/no-cut issue, its a quality of the slider issue. Get what you like Royal. If you dont wanna cut a hole, then get those, but get a Quality pair, not some El-cheapos. If you decite to pop a hole in your fairings, dont get ant "derlin" or nylon crap. Get some aluminum ones, besides, if you do go doun, you could always repolish them, instead of replacing them.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:01 AM

Seems like we are just going to round and round aren't we Skoob? You have your opinions and I have mine. We will let the reader decide what they will do. So you can state your experience and I will state mine. In my opinion, the frame slider is designed for slow rate of speed laydown. They are designed to save the fairings if the bike were to fall over. At a very fast rate of speed, anything over 35 mph, the frame slider will more than likely break or snap off, no matter what the material is made of. It really won't matter then will it? If they are going faster than 35mph. That is my opinion

Old 02-19-2009, 12:27 AM
July 2008 ROTM

Vortex or Woodcraft are the two best sliders for the F4i, both require the hole in the fairing. Anything else and I wouldn't waste your money.

To enlighten both of you, a frame slider is for exactly that - a FRAME saver. It is designed to take the impact of the fall away from the frame. It is designed to break off if the speed is great enough. The fact that it happens to save some damage to the plastics in the event of a fall is a nice side benefit.

Either way, they're worth the $60 or so price tag.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by aken
vortex or woodcraft are the two best sliders for the f4i, both require the hole in the fairing. Anything else and i wouldn't waste your money.

To enlighten both of you, a frame slider is for exactly that - a frame saver. It is designed to take the impact of the fall away from the frame. It is designed to break off if the speed is great enough. The fact that it happens to save some damage to the plastics in the event of a fall is a nice side benefit.

Either way, they're worth the $60 or so price tag.
+100.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:00 AM

I searched around a lot before buying mine and decided to get the cut type. Vortex are a favourite on this forum but I got the woodcraft ones as I prefer their design; puck is manufactured with more material. None of the designs / brands will give you 100% protection and there will be circumstances where a slider will cause more damage but the general feelings are that 1) it’s better to have them on (like with any other protection!), 2) the non-cut ones are the flimsiest and therefore break more easily. Alternatively, some companies do a non-cut type (eg Motrax Top Blocks) that gets mounted on an external bracket, but again depending on the fall these might do more damage if the bracket snaps.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:22 AM

Thanks,
appreciate all the input.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:08 AM

Just simple search on here and you will get the review on both sliders. I preffer the cut ones they work much better.